• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Columbia MS&E or Berkeley Operations Research?

Jos

Hi everyone! I could really use some help here!
I have been admitted to Cornell OR, Berkeley OR and Columbia MS&E.
For various reasons I have rulled out Cornell and am currently between Columbia and Berkeley.
Columbia MS&E is a new three semesters program, which offers the opportunity for a summer internship. The program itself is a collaboration between Columbia IEOR Department and Columbia Business School.
On the other hand, Berkeley M.Eng. OR is also a new program based on the already exhisting MSc in OR. It is a professional 9 months master's program.
Any opinion would be more than welcome about those two programs as well as the chances that they offer to find a job. The deadline to accept or decline the ofers is April 15..
Thank you all in advance!

Columbia MS&E for sure.

Cal's OR isn't quant-oriented. And it seems like you're admitted to their new M. Eng. program, not the traditional MS program. The new M.Eng. program is professionally oriented (i.e. no research required), but among the 8 required classes, it'll require you take two "leadership" classes as part of the requirement. So I am not sure if it's as prestigious and quant oriented as Columbia's.

If you're in Cal's MFE or MS program, then it's another story.

Definitely UCB! There are so many people admitted in COL program. UCB is much better!!!!!

Back