• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Columbia MSOR or Cornell Financial Engineering

I submitted my application on the 7th of January, 2nd of February I received an email they don't have my GRE, 21st of February an email they have it, 23rd an email I am in. This was basically the process. I was 100% sure I would go to Cornell. However a person I respect a lot and who has occupied a couple of extremely high positions in the industry told me that they first look at the school and then (if at all) at what you have studied. So it made me wonder again. Andy I am discussing the issue with several people and as I said I had made the decision but yesterday started thinking again. On the other hand I talked to a person again with a very high statues in this investment world who had graduated Cornell FE long ago and he was very happy with the program. I personally like Cornell A LOT so I think it should be the better option for me. What bothers me is if it turns out that you might get better opportunities with Columbia. I do realize that if you are good enough you would have no problems ideally but still.

adt, would you mind posting your stats? Your stats and mine are probably similar and I want to get into Cornell. Being waitlisted by Columbia has downgraded them behind Cornell in my book so I really looking to get admitted to Cornell.

To be honest, not offensive, I think we are all perfectionist, we hope no matter what we choose will end up to be the best possible way we may have. But alas, could it be possible given two are equally well? Who knows what will happen two years from now. I think maybe we should just relax a little bit and focus a little bit more on what we do than what we choose. I am sure these two are equally well respected program, that is why you have so much concern. And I am sure no matter what you choose, as long as you do well in your studies and do a lot of networking, you will end up great.

After some talks with Cornell alumni I am starting to really have doubts. Some claim they would go to Columbia if they had the same choice and overall they don't seem extremely happy with the program. Their idea is that it does the job to teach you and find you an even crappy job to increase their placement statistics but nothing more. Some say that Columbia's students had more connections which seems natural. Again I have heard the phrase that no one cares what you studied if it is engineering at Columbia. That institutions look at your school not at your exact program. I am starting to lean towards Columbia but still it is 50/50 I guess. Anyone got a brilliant inside she or he wants to share :)

Another alumni shared some positive stuff on the other hand...

Sorry for writing another post ( I cannot find (I don't know why) the edit button ). For a front-office position Cornell Fin Eng should be better than Columbia MSOR or it still makes no difference?
Some of the students/alumni like the program some not as much but I guess this is always the case.
?

just a piece of info...I agree with your frd's idea that " first look at the school and then (if at all) at what you have studied."...that is soooo true...I asked no less than 20 MD/CFO/CEOs from big banks such as GS, UBS, BOA and some major Chinese institutions, what they care the most is the SCHOOL NAME. However, I don't think there is a big difference between columbia and cornell....although columbia seems better, they are still in the same range....

I am now deciding between columbia mafn and cornell mfe....tough choice...we can discuss a bit if you would like to....

@adt
Hey,

Have you decided where you are going?

In the last few days, I spoke with 3 current Cornell students and one Dec '10 grad. The consensus was that if you are looking for a quant job, Cornell is not for you. Cornell ORIE has PhD students, so if a company needs a quant, most likely the company will take the PhD student. Only if you have a very technical background, you might be considered for a quant job.
However, I got the impression that most of them are placed in trading positions. A big number of students are placed in derivatives trading, very few (perhaps even 1 or 2) are placed in algo trading and the rest in different front-office positions.
So, if your goal is to become a quant, look somewhere else.
I think the same applies for Columbia MSOR. If a company wants quants, it will take MSFE students or PhD students. You need to be very good to have them choose you.

As far as recruitment is concerned, the most common source is on campus recruitment. A lot of companies come to Ithaca to recruit. Also, students receive job posting emails on a regular basis (don't know how effective they are, though).
According to Fall 2010 students, programming is not demanding at all( perhaps it will become more demanding this semester or next semester).
I'm debating between Baruch and Cornell (crossed out Columbia MSOR right away). But, since I want Quant more than Trading, I'm probably going to choose Baruch.

Anyone, Anything? I really need to make this decision and in the end I will make it by myself, but a piece of advice is always helpful?
Flip a coin.

@roni , I think I am more interested in a front office job so I find Cornell a good destination.
@alain , Having in mind all that research I have done it will be a "loaded" coin :D

@alain , Having in mind all that research I have done it will be a "loaded" coin :D

If you have done research and you have a "loaded" coin, you are just looking for confirmation of your decision. Just make it and live with it. You won't be disappointed.

@roni , I think I am more interested in a front office job so I find Cornell a good destination.

If I had to make a choice, I would defintely go to Cornell ---> It is really a FE program and hosted by an outstanding Engineering College, and moreover with great career services.
It is as known as Columbia as far as school reputaiton is concerned.

I'm debating between Baruch and Cornell (crossed out Columbia MSOR right away). But, since I want Quant more than Trading, I'm probably going to choose Baruch.
How long have you been debating, going back and forth with this?
You are in Brooklyn, right? Take the subway and go to Baruch, sit in the class and feel out the environment there.
Take a bus to Ithaca and do the same thing.

It will ease your mind and make your decision much easier. You are fortunately enough to be able to do this. Many oversea students can't and have to take a leaf of faith.
You also can't make a decision on with input from "internet people" who may/may not know what they are talking about.

How long have you been debating, going back and forth with this?
You are in Brooklyn, right? Take the subway and go to Baruch, sit in the class and feel out the environment there.
Take a bus to Ithaca and do the same thing.

It will ease your mind and make your decision much easier. You are fortunately enough to be able to do this. Many oversea students can't and have to take a leaf of faith.
You also can't make a decision on with input from "internet people" who may/may not know what they are talking about.
Well, sitting in classes of both programs is not what will help me make a decision.
On one hand, I have Baruch, a program with a very attractive curriculum(better chances of getting into quant finance). On the other hand, I have the brand name 'Cornell' but with a less attractive curriculum that most likely won't lead me to a quant position.

Many students have viewed MFE programs as a quick pathway to a “get rich quick” job on Wall Street. In fact, the number of universities opening up this type of programs has increased the past decade. This leads to a wide quality disparity among people coming out of these programs. What would you advise aspiring students who plan to join these MFE programs?
I would advise students to pay careful attention to the content of a masters program. The prestige that comes from being admitted to one of the top schools will get you through the first year or two but not necessarily further. A masters program offers the student a golden opportunity to build a solid basis for his future career; course content and quality of teaching are crucial.
http://www.quantnet.com/interview-with-jim-gatheral/

Do you guys think it will be a good idea to finish msor at columbia in one year, then continue a financial engineering degree ?
In my case, I just got offer from nyu math in fin, however, I did do deposit to msor program.
And, also I got my bachelor from NYU as well, so I wanna some thing different in my life..

Back