• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

compare Rutgers FSRM vs Boston MA stats

so recently I got admitted to these two programs, though neither of them are ideal programs for quant jobs (if you compared to top programs), it still struggles me a lot. With MA stats, I might be able to pursue PhD in the future which will give me a better shot to get into the so-called real "quant" jobs. However, possibly I would end up being devastated by the lack of passion in studying theoretical stuff. On the other hand, FSRM, with heavy training in stats and coding, kinda steer a clear path toward risk management (which makes me feel motivated when the career path is specific). However, FSRM is not even ranked in quantnet which worries me that it could be a ripoff program. it is a relatively new program with unknown job placement rates.

Anyone got any ideas about which should I go for?
btw: I am international and will need job visa if i decide to stay in US

I took a look on linkedin for model validation/risk management roles, and a lot of the people there came from rutgers FSRM. indeed, i doubt you'd get the real quant stuff with that degree. MA in stats is a much better deal, even though it's not ideal. i'd try to apply to the market with just the MA in stats, yes it'll be harder without a top school name but it beats having to pursue a PhD if you can pull it off, since you're not completely sold on the PhD

I took a look on linkedin for model validation/risk management roles, and a lot of the people there came from rutgers FSRM. indeed, i doubt you'd get the real quant stuff with that degree. MA in stats is a much better deal, even though it's not ideal. i'd try to apply to the market with just the MA in stats, yes it'll be harder without a top school name but it beats having to pursue a PhD if you can pull it off, since you're not completely sold on the PhD
Hi,
do you mean a top brand name in any school or the MFE programs? I actually thought about what you suggest, but from what I heard it is hard to find a job while keeping up your MA stats studies (at least for BU, you'd be taking class/qualify exams and be treated with phd standards or maybe i am just not smart enough). Also, if brand name is the case, what are chances of landing a better job if i gain practical exp in model validation/risk mangement with FSRM degree and then apply again to a better MFE program ? will that help?

There’s also the MS in statistical practice at BU, which is more applied than the MA. The BU MA does have the requirement for comprehensive exams, similar to PhD. Why not go for that and try to get into the PhD program? Some solid folks have come out of that program. For what it’s worth, I just finished most of the core courses for the MA and found the instructors to be pretty fantastic. Avoid the summer classes though. Those are a coin toss of instructor quality.

Back