• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

UCB MFE Completing requirements while still working

Hello Quantnet!

I've just been admitted by UCB MFE, and the requirements are (except for the pre-program and reading) :

Python, R, SQL at any accredited institution
Coursework in Machine Learning (recommended course at Coursera)

Now, these are four courses that I have to take, and the due date is December 1st. So it leaves me with 3.3 months to complete all four courses.

I am currently working at a buy-side firm, working from 7:30 am to (at least) 6:15 pm.

The question is : would it be possible to take all the four courses within 3.3 month? Just by simple calculation, I have 3.5 weeks to complete each course.. which does not seem easy.

My total work experience is 6 months so far, but the firm I am working in is just a local buy-side firm and does not give much brand value to my resume.

I am leaning toward "quit the job in 1 month and study the subjects" option. Anybody ever had a situation like me? Any opinion on how much effort the courses require?

4 courses = full time = 40 hours per week of going to school, and study.
if you keep the full time job, and you try to do that, it's not going to end well.

I agree. I tried doing just 2 courses this summer while working full time and it ended very badly. Grades didn't turn out awesome and I was getting around 4 hours of sleep a night. This wouldn't have been so bad if it wasn't so consistent. Since you got admitted to the program, and already have 6 months at this firm, it sounds like you'd be better off committing 100% to doing the pre-reqs for the degree. Especially if its just buy-side and doesn't really look too flashy on your resume. 4 courses is a lot, but I think its doable if you really commit.

I've been doing machine learning (self-study) and its not too complex with a decent probability background. Looks like there's a Coursera class opening on Sept. 1st. - Coursera - Free Online Courses From Top Universities

As far as the others are concerned, I'm proficient in R but that's because my thesis is making and submitting a package to CRAN. Learning that is a practice thing. I'm not sure what courses exist out there for them in an online delivery format, aside from Coursera. The others I'm not incredible proficient in, but I believe 3 months is enough time to get to a functional level with them. For Python and SQL you might look at teamtreehouse.com to get a good understanding, but you mentioned "accredited insitutions" and I'm not sure what that encompasses.

Just my 2 cents though. Good luck.

Python, R, SQL at any accredited institution
Coursework in Machine Learning (recommended course at Coursera)

Now, these are four courses that I have to take, and the due date is December 1st. So it leaves me with 3.3 months to complete all four courses.

I am currently working at a buy-side firm, working from 7:30 am to (at least) 6:15 pm.

No way.

I agree. If I were you'd I'd be out the door today from the firm (figuratively) and committing to studying.

Back