• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Confused with the Prerequisites for MFE

I am Rishit Vora from India. Currently, I am in my last semester of Bachelor's degree in commerce and I have completed Chartered Wealth Management (CWM) program offered by American Academy of Financial Management (AAFM). I am keen to pursue MFE as my post graduation program. But I am stuck with plenty of questions in my mind. Please help me out for the following:

- What are the mathematical topics I need to cover prerequisites for MFE? ( Currently, I don't have a mathematical academic background. I haven't studied mathematics after High School. )

- What are the tech or programming skills required as prerequisites? (python or java)

- Which certification do I need for the prerequisites to make myself eligible for MFE? And from where will I get these courses?

If anyone can help me out with these questions ,I would be grateful.

Thanks!

What are the mathematical topics I need to cover prerequisites for MFE?
Most MFE programs typical require multi-variable calculus, linear algebra, and probability.
What are the tech or programming skills required as prerequisites?
I think this is language-agnostic as long as you can demonstrate some programming skills. From a quant perspective, python and cpp are important skills to have.
Which certification do I need for the prerequisites to make myself eligible for MFE? And from where will I get these courses?
I think many ppl have used the quantnet cpp etc courses to improve their overall candidacy profile, coursera etc have a good selection of maths/ programming courses too.

Hi, adding to the points mentioned above:
What are the mathematical topics I need to cover as prerequisites for MFE?
Machine learning/data science is a big plus that should be covered after studying the above topics.
You can certainly boost your profile by doing relevant quant projects for these courses. This gives you an edge and helps showcase your programming skills used in the process. Tech and programming can be learnt alongside these maths topics while working on a simple project if you have less time.
But math should be covered first IMO

Even a cursory glance at any MFE-program website would reveal your background as it stands is wholly inadequate. You need at a minimum, 3 semesters of calculus, 1 semester of linear algebra, and 1 semester of calculus-based probability to even be considered. Currently, I don't have a mathematical academic background. I haven't studied mathematics after High School ... why are you looking at MFEs then? You gotta crawl before you run.

I didnt want to sound too discouraging in my initial reply, but I think reality is also important. I agree with Qui-Gon that you need to think very carefully about pursuing a MFE. The additional questions that I would do research on are:
1) Even if you fixed your math per-requisite, which MFEs can you realistically expect?
2) what's the placement stats from those reachable schools?
MFE admission is competitive but this is nowhere near the competition level for fulltime quant jobs. (because of competitions from STEM PhDs, higher ranking schools, your classmates, etc)

Most MFE programs typical require multi-variable calculus, linear algebra, and probability.
I think this is language-agnostic as long as you can demonstrate some programming skills. From a quant perspective, python and cpp are important skills to have.
Which certification do I need for the prerequisites to make myself eligible for MFE? And from where will I get these courses?
I think many ppl have used the quantnet cpp etc courses to improve their overall candidacy profile, coursera etc have a good selection of maths/ programming courses too.
Multivariable calculus, linear algebra and probability?...it is true that many programs say that, but good luck getting in having taken only those courses. I think they do that so they get more applicants and hence more application revenue, but in reality usually those that have taken an array of math and programming courses get in.

Okay thanks for helping out.

Even a cursory glance at any MFE-program website would reveal your background as it stands is wholly inadequate. You need at a minimum, 3 semesters of calculus, 1 semester of linear algebra, and 1 semester of calculus-based probability to even be considered. Currently, I don't have a mathematical academic background. I haven't studied mathematics after High School ... why are you looking at MFEs then? You gotta crawl before you run.
Thanks mate @Qui-Gon. I appreciate as you rightly said the thing which even I feel that you are right. But what if I really want to go for MFE. What should be the most ideal thing at first to proceed?

I didnt want to sound too discouraging in my initial reply, but I think reality is also important. I agree with Qui-Gon that you need to think very carefully about pursuing a MFE. The additional questions that I would do research on are:
1) Even if you fixed your math per-requisite, which MFEs can you realistically expect?
2) what's the placement stats from those reachable schools?
MFE admission is competitive but this is nowhere near the competition level for fulltime quant jobs. (because of competitions from STEM PhDs, higher ranking schools, your classmates, etc)
Thanks for helping out with the best you can. It was tough to digest but I accept it you are right on your part. I'd surely think about the decision of going ahead with it.

Hi, adding to the points mentioned above:
What are the mathematical topics I need to cover as prerequisites for MFE?
Machine learning/data science is a big plus that should be covered after studying the above topics.
You can certainly boost your profile by doing relevant quant projects for these courses. This gives you an edge and helps showcase your programming skills used in the process. Tech and programming can be learnt alongside these maths topics while working on a simple project if you have less time.
But math should be covered first IMO
:thumbsup::thumbsup:Thanks

Thanks mate @Qui-Gon. I appreciate as you rightly said the thing which even I feel that you are right. But what if I really want to go for MFE. What should be the most ideal thing at first to proceed?
Can you (in terms of time and financially) do another bachelors? If not, and probably the more optimal choice, can you possibly stay an extra year or two in your current program and work to add the prerequisite courses?

Can you (in terms of time and financially) do another bachelors? If not, and probably the more optimal choice, can you possibly stay an extra year or two in your current program and work to add the prerequisite courses?
Yes, I am looking forward to the batch of September 2023. So, roughly I do have an extra time of 1.5 years to prepare for it.

You can also take the pre-reqs as a non degree student in America and transfer the credits but I am not so sure in india.
Oh sorry just forgot to add that I am looking USA for my post grad.

I am Rishit Vora from India. Currently, I am in my last semester of Bachelor's degree in commerce and I have completed Chartered Wealth Management (CWM) program offered by American Academy of Financial Management (AAFM). I am keen to pursue MFE as my post graduation program. But I am stuck with plenty of questions in my mind. Please help me out for the following:

- What are the mathematical topics I need to cover prerequisites for MFE? ( Currently, I don't have a mathematical academic background. I haven't studied mathematics after High School. )

- What are the tech or programming skills required as prerequisites? (python or java)

- Which certification do I need for the prerequisites to make myself eligible for MFE? And from where will I get these courses?

If anyone can help me out with these questions ,I would be grateful.

Thanks!
How do you know that you are interested in MFE programs/quant careers if you have not studied math outside of high school? That is the equivalent of wanting to race in the Grand Prix without ever having stepped into a formula 1 car. I have seen several posts similar to this. I don't understand how someone can be interested in a career path when they do not have the proper exposure to even consider the simple mechanics of that career path.

If you want to do MFE/quant (or at least know if you are able/interested), extend your graduation date by a semester (maybe two) and cram as many math/cs classes as possible. You may find you aren't interested or are not able to perform math at this level.

Back