• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Couple Quick questions on MFE Application

Hi, I am a new to the site. Just want to introduce myself quickly

I am a senior from a big state university with a finance major and is currently applying to mfe programs starting in fall 2011. I have a very strong finance background with adequate math skills plus limited programming knowledge at this point.(just started learning). I am applying to mfe because I believe a top mfe program can help me becoming a successful fixed income investor.

first question: I have one more semester left, I can either get an additional major in Economics + a certificate in mathematics or just Applied mathematics Major.(my school doesn't allow me to get two majors outside of business school, so getting both economics and math is impossible) I was wondering which path should I take to have a higher chance being admitted to a top mfe program.

Second Question: my gre score isn't impressive, 490 verbal, 800 quant, 3.5 aw. I plan on taking it again in January, I am certain I can improve my verbal and analytical wring score. However, I was wondering If I should spend my winter break studying for GRE or just focus on programming language such as C++ or matlab.( I am a quick learner, and already have a project lined up that requires C++)

Thank you for your advises.

Get the applied Math major instead of economics. The Finance + Applied Math will look appealing I would assume to ad-coms. The GRE Score is fine. 800 quant is primarily all that matters. No need to re-take it. Focus on taking programming courses and learning the languages. C++ would be just fine. Matlab in my opinion would be a good addition too, but focus primarily on C++ and the math courses.

Thank you guys so much for quick responses. Your help is greatly appreciated

David

Back