• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Courses taken/should take

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum. I am currently a junior at the University of Maryland majoring in Economics with a minor in mathematics. I am thinking about doing a Master in financial engineering. My top choices are Columbia and Berkeley. What I like about Columbia though is the option to do the joint MSFE/MBA.
I just wanted to know if my quantitative background will be adequate to get into a FE program.
First my GPA is 3.4. I expect it to be 3.5 by the end of this semester if things keep going at the pace they are going now. And hopefully 3.6 when i graduate.

Math courses, quantitative econ courses, programming courses, and quantitative LSE courses I will have taken by the time FE applications are due (Dec, Jan) are

Calc I, II, III (multivariable)
Linear Algebra
Applications of Linear Algebra
Statistics
Probability Theory
Econometrics I, II
Computer Methods in economics (teaches using SAS & Excel)
C programming
Advanced Econometrics (LSE)
Options, futures, & other financial derivatives (LSE)

Quantitative Courses that i will be taking my final semester

Advanced Calculus I (Real Analysis)
Statistical Computing using SAS

My other Econ courses include

Principles of microeconomics
Principles of macroeconomics
economic development of underdeveloped areas
Methods and tools for economic analysis
intermediate micro economics
intermediate macro economics
money and banking
financial markets
theory of international economics

There may be more courses, but these are the ones i remember off the top of my head. I would like to take a partial differential equations course but I cant seem to fit in my schedule. What do you guys think? Is this curriculum good enough to get me into a good FE program. Thanks for the evaluation. I really appreciate it.

Your 2 choices and the 2 Andy mentioned are at the top. While you may be fine with what you listed, you will be applying against people with more math and cs. If you can't fit any more courses in there isn't much else you can do besides doing really well on the GRE/GMAT.

One potential opinion available (don't know if or how much this would help you) is taking the GRE subject tests for mathematics and/or computer science.

I don't remember for sure but I recall someone mentioning that Berkeley required CFA level I. Can anyone verify?

No school in my knowledge requires CFA L1. I applied to a number of them (including UCB) and got through as well. However, coming from an engineering background I think it was a good way to show my honest interest about MFE. In addition to that I feel at least L1 got me comfortable with lingo and gave me a flavor of things to come. And if ever any school would prefer to see L1 on your resume that is precisely because they would like you to have some background in finance/accounting, etc. before you get started. I am pretty sure if you are not ready you are going to fall on your face in a fast paced environment.

I think the CFA Level 1 or some finance courses on your transcript are good because otherwise it is hard to justify why you want to switch to the field. One can't just say , "I want to make money...so ye" . I had none on my application, but I talked a lot about finance in my essay from my readings of Hull's book and MIT Open-courseware.
A good way to explain is, I took a finance course once, and absolutely loved it and therefore want to enter this field.

I think UCB tells applicants sometimes to get CFA L1. Like a "conditional acceptance" kind of set up. I know of 3 people who had to do that as part of their acceptance.

Yea actually John O'Brien from UCB mentioned at an info session that he recommends getting CFA L1 to have an edge against other applicants since most do not have specific finance experience. I forgot to mention I have also taken financial accounting. My financial courses on transcript would financial markets, money and banking, accounting, and the options & futures course. CFA L1 is offered in june and dec i believe, any1 know of any requirements needed to take it???

Hi Jzavala, these are the requirements:

• Have a U.S. bachelor's (or equivalent) degree
    • or be in the final year of your bachelor's degree program at the time of registration
    • or have four years of qualified, professional work experience
    • or have a combination of work and college experience that totals at least four years
      (Note: Summer, part-time, and internship positions do not qualify.)
  • Understand the professional conduct requirements (you will be asked to sign statements of Professional Conduct and Candidate Responsibility)
  • Be prepared to take the exams in English

Back