• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

CQF or MFE?

Hi All,
I am Sr. Software Developer/Architect with 10+ years experience, mostly using Java/J2EE . I hold a masters degree in computer science from athabasca university.
I am interested in pursuing financial engineering as a career.
So, I was wondering if CQF http://www.cqf.com is considered reputable?

Also, in which all (other) schools do I stand a chance ?

Thanks for all the replies,
R

I have to first declare an interest since I teach C++ on the CQF, and Paul Wilmott, is a founder of the firm I work for...

A challenge you will face is that it has been a while since you did maths, and unfortunately they were mostly the wrong kind for quant finance. So much so that I do a lecture in remedial logic for quants :)

Also Java is not common in this line of work, but I assume that your Java is good enough that it is a sound base for learning C++ and/or C# The CQF does not assume you know any C++ before you start, but it is useful for getting a job after.

The path of least resistance for you is as some form of quant developer, which typically pays better than most other forms of s/w dev.

So before we think too hard about the way forward, it's a good idea to work out where you are now. Dan Stefanica has done a primer on financial mathematics, which although it is designed to teach, I've found that it is a good self-test for whether you are ready to spend this scale of money and time.
I do not say that you should be able to waltz through the book trivially, but if it is clearly beyond where you are, you've found out something important for a tiny fraction of the cost of doing something you are not ready for,

Dan Stefanica's A Primer for the Mathematics of Financial Engineering - Forum | Quant Network

You then have to decide whether to fill in some holes, or find a different way forward in your career.
The CQF includes the CMM, which is optimised for such hole filling, but you don't try and build a whole wall with the gunk you patch holes with. That applies to all finance courses.

A CQF designation with Distinction is prestigious. I also like that people with a CQF have free access to CQF videos and materials for an unlimited time upon graduation.

Whether to do an MFE or the CQF depends on your background and goals.

Yes, although the CQF has a final exam, you never actually finish it, unless you want to.

Personally I think all finance courses ought to be like that, since new stuff comes along, you forget the old, and you never know which things you learn will turn out to be useful 5 years later, long enough that you want it refreshed.

As Dan says, you need to have some idea of where you want to be in order to make good decisions about education. I accept this is hard, since the point of the education is that you don't know enough yet, which is why I suggested quant developer as av potential role for you.

A rough and simplistic calculation is to look at the pay of entry level QDs compared to what you're on, and see this as a possible outcome of the course.

Note that I say entry level, even though you've a decade of experience, plus extra education. Think through whether you'd be happy with that.

Note I'm not telling you what to want, mostly proababilities and possibilities of what you can get, it's not my job as a headhunter to tell you want you want, it's my job to help you get it.

I like the idea of having videos. I know of some MFE programs that do that too.

Maybe CQF can sell videos for a fee. :) hahah

It is much better to have the videos free for all CQFs, and only have a few available for general viewing as samples.

I just want to mention that we have reviews of CQF by their delegates
And reviews for over dozen MFE programs

Thanks for all the great replies.
My goal as asked by Dan and DominiConnor is to become a quant developer and take it from there. After reading the reviews of CFQ, I think I am inclided towards the course. Am I right?

Regards,
R

I would like to hear a bit from Dominic or anyone familiar with CQF career service. I read the reviews and a couple people mentioned it did not exist or they don't need it.
It's one thing for people already working in the field, taking CQF to learn new things, while getting reimbursed by the company, it's another thing for people from China/India wanting to get into the field using CQF as a mean.

Since majority of CQF delegates take this online, what does career service exactly entail? Does Dominic's recruiting service play any part in this?

In short, how does a guy from India, China finishing this CQF get a job on Wall Street or in any of the financial centers?

I would like to hear a bit from Dominic or anyone familiar with CQF career service. I read the reviews and a couple people mentioned it did not exist or they don't need it.
It's one thing for people already working in the field, taking CQF to learn new things, while getting reimbursed by the company, it's another thing for people from China/India wanting to get into the field using CQF as a mean.

Since majority of CQF delegates take this online, what does career service exactly entail? Does Dominic's recruiting service play any part in this?

In short, how does a guy from India, China finishing this CQF get a job on Wall Street or in any of the financial centers?

I was going to ask the same question. Thanks Andy.

Have you attended any CQF info/preview sessions? Lot of people ask these questions but they don't get any convincing answer from the speaker.

That entails that CQF doesnt offer any kind of career service (other than maintaining a job board).
It would be great to have career service..
Regards,
R

Why limit yourself to only one option? I don't know about CQF, but I know good MFE programs are supremely difficult to get into. In my opinion get admitted first - decide where to go afterwards.

I just want to mention that we have reviews of CQF by their delegates
And reviews for over dozen MFE programs
I am not able to access the reviews. Please help

did you get an answer to this? (How does finishing the CQF get a job on the Wall street?)

Back