• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

CS/Stats versus CS/Math Undergrad Degree

Hello,

I was referred to this forum from WSO. I am returning to university, having experienced in blue-collar work and now have time to finish my education. I currently work in the biotech/biopharma market right now, so I am familiar with the kind of people getting work as a Biostatics (I am close to the VP) and what they look for in their applicants.

I am interested in pursuing a path to Quant work, would a CS/Stats or a CS/Applied Math degree be best approached for a role in the industry? I know with CS/Stats, if things fall through, I can get a job in Biostats/Data Science (company utilizes SAS/R for their data analysis of Clinical Trials).

What has been the experience in recruiting these days?

Thank you.

IMO, applied math and stats at the undergrad level are one in the same in terms of opportunities you could target post graduation. You could get into biostats/data science just as easily with CS/App Math as you could with CS/Stats. Personally, I would recommend doing applied math and taking stats courses as electives. Perhaps post the coursework you would be doing.

If I'm being completely honest, I would do CS and pure math, as I feel that pure math is a far superior UG degree than stats or applied math...

IMO, applied math and stats at the undergrad level are one in the same in terms of opportunities you could target post graduation. You could get into biostats/data science just as easily with CS/App Math as you could with CS/Stats. Personally, I would recommend doing applied math and taking stats courses as electives. Perhaps post the coursework you would be doing.

If I'm being completely honest, I would do CS and pure math, as I feel that pure math is a far superior UG degree than stats or applied math...

There are two universities in my area - San Diego State University, and University of California San Diego.

For SDSU -
Computer Science Department – 2021 CS Major Requirements -
Department of Mathematics and Statistics - San Diego State University - SDSU
(They have Computational Math, Applied Math - There is no Pure Math), along with Statistics (Data Science or Actuarial Science).

For UCSD -
Undergraduate Majors and Minors | Department of Mathematics
(They do have a Pure Math, along with Probability and Statistics, and Computational Mathematics).

(This is their Computer Science undergrad program).

One of the reasoning behind Statistics is a fallback in case I do not make it as a quant, but this would give me an opportunity to work in DS/Biostats (which are still great career paths), along with ML.

Why would Pure Math make a person a stronger candidate?
SDSU > UCSD in terms of pricing, but I know that people like candidates from UCSD.

I know these are both considered non-targets (essentially), but this is the best I can do for myself (30s, originally very low-income).

There are two universities in my area - San Diego State University, and University of California San Diego.

For SDSU -
Computer Science Department – 2021 CS Major Requirements -
Department of Mathematics and Statistics - San Diego State University - SDSU
(They have Computational Math, Applied Math - There is no Pure Math), along with Statistics (Data Science or Actuarial Science).

For UCSD -
Undergraduate Majors and Minors | Department of Mathematics
(They do have a Pure Math, along with Probability and Statistics, and Computational Mathematics).

(This is their Computer Science undergrad program).

One of the reasoning behind Statistics is a fallback in case I do not make it as a quant, but this would give me an opportunity to work in DS/Biostats (which are still great career paths), along with ML.

Why would Pure Math make a person a stronger candidate?
SDSU > UCSD in terms of pricing, but I know that people like candidates from UCSD.

I know these are both considered non-targets (essentially), but this is the best I can do for myself (30s, originally very low-income).
SDSU will be fine. I was at one of the worst CSU campuses. UCSD is a great school, IMO just behind Cal and UCLA and well ahead of Irvine/SB despite what US News might say.

Let me look at the coursework and I'll ping you back when I have a chance.

Last edited:
Pure math major is here:

Not the best composition of courses, only requiring one semester of real analysis and abstract algebra is not good, but this is their pure math major. Looked at their MA in pure math here: Master of Arts in Mathematics - San Diego State University - SDSU
but also kind of disappointing given seemingly no advanced analysis sequence aside from a topics course. The main reason I would suggest someone to do pure math in undergrad (if they plan to pursue quant finance) is to take as much analysis as possible, and thus I would not suggest doing pure math at SDSU, though you should take advanced calculus (should be called real analysis, assuming the courses are proof-based) 1 and 2.

Applied math and computational science look roughly the same, choose the one with whichever electives stand out to you more. I would avoid the stats major as real analysis is not required, though definitely take Stat 551A/B.

Last edited:
Pure math major is here:

Not the best composition of courses, only requiring one semester of real analysis and abstract algebra is not good, but this is their pure math major. Looked at their MA in pure math here: Master of Arts in Mathematics - San Diego State University - SDSU
but also kind of disappointing given seemingly no advanced analysis sequence aside from a topics course. The main reason I would suggest someone to do pure math in undergrad (if they plan to pursue quant finance) is to take as much analysis as possible, and thus I would not suggest doing pure math at SDSU, though you should take advanced calculus (should be called real analysis, assuming the courses are proof-based) 1 and 2.

Applied math and computational science look roughly the same, choose the one with whichever electives stand out to you more. I would avoid the stats major as real analysis is not required, though definitely take Stat 551A/B.

Thank you for that. The plan is to do all the courses prepared necessary to have the option to transfer to either UCSD, or SDSU/CSUSM. I would say Computational Mathematics would make more sense as it blends in with Computer Science and the heavy programming/theory classes I can take. The Modeling classes in the Comp. Math class looks interesting.

How would recruiting go in terms of undergrad? Once I apply in (hopefully accepted), go straight to summer internship or wait until graduation? I would still have a part-time dedicated job for bills/rent.

Back