• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Daily Show - Scott Patterson THE QUANTS

I was just wondering, has anyone already read the book of Scott Patterson "THE QUANTS"? I saw the Daily Show last week and want to know if it is worth to read. Even if the author seems to be an opponent to all quant finance, I still like to read such stuff, as long as it is not pure populism....

Has he answered already? You should also e-mail jon steward and ask if you can join him in his show ;) defending the quants.....

I listened to the Lewis' book (books on tape). It was entertaining. The Quants book is sort of boring from my point of view. I didn't like it. Haven't read the other one.

I read The Big Short - excellent book, in particular for people not familiar with credit derivatives.

I like Lewis'style in general; Moneyball is a favorite of mine, as are Liar's Poker and The Blind Side; also, the artical on the Icelandic Male from Vanity Fair is a great read
http://depts.washington.edu/teclass/articles472/Wall%20Street%20on%20the%20Tundra%20_%20vanityfair.pdf

Aaron Bown wrote a rebuttal of "The Quants", called "Do Quants Destroy?", in the April 2010 issue of Risk Professional, the GARP magazine.

Aaron's piece is MUCH better than the book... :-k :D =D>

Thanks a lot, Andy!

I found it to be a great piece, much better articulated than the book.

Back