• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Deadline to accept admission offer

• Thread starter Thread starter Apa
  • Start date Start date

Apa

Can somebody tell if NYU/Baruch give a deadline to accept the admission offer, if yes generally when it would be and what is the cost to secure your place? I have an admit from Columbia FE right now, I was wondering if i should ask NYU to expedite the process. In case they tell me the result, will they ask me to accept offer in a week or so, or will i have time till everyone is offered admission.

Thanks

They will generally give you a few weeks. You can ask for more and they will try to accommodate within reasons. Some programs will require you put down a deposit. I believe Columbia MFE requires that while Baruch/NYU does not.
In most case, you will have to make a decision before all of your decisions come out.

Thanks Andy, I have my Baruch interview next week and also hopeful for NYU. One other point is that I would prefer a 1.5 yr program duration, so if I extend the Columbia FE program to 1.5 yrs, will i be at disadvantage in terms of placements..as in would i miss the regular placement season or is it a ongoing process.

Yes, the Columbia was intended to squeeze 3 semesters worth of content into 1 calendar year. It was hard for their students to find jobs without an internship (especially during the financial crisis of 2008) so they recently allow them to stretch to 3 semesters.
Some other programs that have off-season starting date make it works by providing better career services support.
A lot of other programs are making their programs longer so their students have a more time horizon to find jobs.

Will admissions committees typically try to expedite an application review if asked? I didn't know that was a possibility.

I don't intend to abuse it, but some of the applications I submitted were staggered by several weeks. It would be nice to know whether requested an expedited review is an option.

If you come across as a top tier applicants who got admitted from Harvard, Yale, they probably will try to meet you halfway. If you are asking Harvard admission people to expedite because you got admitted to Little Rock Community College, then don't be surprised if they don't even answer your email.
There is always a balancing act for these people. They can't meet every request but they will pick those that of higher caliber applicants.

Always prepare to make the best decision as if your requests will not be met.

Basically, one would have to provide a good reason. Saying "please" is not enough. :)

I wasn't sure whether you could really play one school off of another like that. I mean, just providing that kind of info to an admission committee may affect their decision as well, right (in a favorable way)? Still, I don't think it would matter too much one way or another.

Thanks!

I am in the same situation- columbia admit & I have to pay the deposit before march 5. I amailed NYU,cornell & CMU to give out early decision. NYU asked me my columbia offer letter & informed they wll try thier best. CMU declined for early decision saying during the application process itself decision date was mentioned. They asked me to speak to columbia to ask for an extension. Cornell - No Reply. I am thinking of paying the deposit. Andy what would u suggest in such a situation.

saw this info on nyu gsas website(faq's), not sure if this applies to msfm also.. "Your offer of admission will specify the reply deadline. The most common reply period is four weeks from the date of your offer of admission; however, it may be shorter in some cases. You must return the Candidate Reply Form along with a $250 tuition deposit to hold your place in the Graduate School"

Back