• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Debating Next Steps

Hello,

I am currently considering my options, and need input on education alternatives.

Some background on me - my undergraduate background is in computer science (from a state school, FWIW), and next semester I will be finishing my masters degree in mathematics (from a reputable institution, FWIW). I have quite a bit of background in probability, including stochastic analysis, and any other mathematics and computer science requisite for quantitative finance (the academic part of things). Perhaps to answer the obvious - I am having no luck landing interviews, let alone jobs in quant finance, and the little interviews I do get are for glorified programming positions. I am looking to continue to a second masters degree to get a background in finance (the variety of instruments, and trading strategies), as well as formalize my grounding in quant finance, and familiarize myself with wall street.

There is a very good financial mathematics program at the institution I am currently enrolled in, but I am considering the MSCF program at CMU, and the MS of Finance at Princeton.

I am looking to get your thoughts on the matter - anything will do. What do you think about my circumstance? Feel free to propose other programs, and let me know what you think about the two I mentioned, and why you prefer one over the other (or a third option), if you do.

As a side note, in your opinion, is the outlook on quant finance looking into the 5-10 years horizon, as lucrative as it is today, and used to be in the past?

Back