• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Defer or join fall 2020

International Columbia MFE admit here, I'm thinking of going unless there are travel restrictions or my visa application is rejected. I understand that having social distancing measures and (partially/fully) online classes would diminish what the program offers compared to past years, but after weighing my options I decided to go (where possible of course).

My company isn't doing very well so I can't really expect big bonus or increment in salary this/next year, and given the current economy it'd be tougher than usual to get a new job with better pay/prospects. Even if I defer to (or reapply) next year I'd probably just be doing similar things as I did last year - which isn't really a terrible thing now, when a lot of people are getting laid off and are struggling to survive, but I can't see that improving my profile to get admitted into the programs I wasn't admitted to this year (e.g. Princeton's MFin). If anything, given the number of people considering deferring/reapplying next year, I wouldn't be so sure about getting admitted again to the programs I was admitted to this year, if I can't defer my admission and have to reapply.

I'm fairly confident the program reputation and university brand name would give me a decent chance at landing interviews next year (hopefully the economy would be on its way to recovery by then). Of course nobody can say for certain whether that will be the case or not, but I've decided to take the leap, so I'll just do my best.

I wish everyone in a similar position (and upperclassmen looking for internships/full-time jobs this year) the best!

UCLA doesn't allow deferrals. So i have to reject them as no way am I spending $133k (incl accommodation, food) for 15 months and california is hit by double whammy of covid-19 and BLM protests.
Georgia Tech will have a zoom meetinn next Tue to discuss if they allow Spring 2021 or fall 2021 deferrals. I'm hoping for aug then.
If not, I would be going to Purdue because I got a $25k scholarship.

UCLA doesn't allow deferrals. So i have to reject them as no way am I spending $133k (incl accommodation, food) for 15 months and california is hit by double whammy of covid-19 and BLM protests.
Georgia Tech will have a zoom meetinn next Tue to discuss if they allow Spring 2021 or fall 2021 deferrals. I'm hoping for aug then.
If not, I would be going to Purdue because I got a $25k scholarship.
So wait, if UCLA classes will be online in the Fall, why would you spend money for accommodation? You would be attending school from home, no? UCLA isn't just going to open up if COVID is still a threat, I am pretty sure it's wither going to be online, or precautionary measures will be taken (like 50% max occupancy in classrooms or whatnot). Is Purdue going to be online for the Fall? Why Purdue btw, they are not even ranked, yah?

So wait, if UCLA classes will be online in the Fall, why would you spend money for accommodation? You would be attending school from home, no? UCLA isn't just going to open up if COVID is still a threat, I am pretty sure it's wither going to be online, or precautionary measures will be taken (like 50% max occupancy in classrooms or whatnot). Is Purdue going to be online for the Fall? Why Purdue btw, they are not even ranked, yah?
UCLA never said they are moving to online. They said likely to resume in person in the fall. I went for many webinar sessions for UCLA already. I'm on a 14 hour time zone difference, hardly think it's easy to attend from home and function differently from my family
Purdue is in Indiana which is hardly affected by covid/protests. Plus they are really affordable, value for money. Name me a school in the $30k range that is ranked higher than Purdue. I can name >10 schools which are better than UCLA at the same price tag (which i didnt apply to because previously LA was such a good place to study in). This forum itself kept on bashing UCLA. I'm not the one bashing UCLA, I just said the location isnt ideal right now due to the "situation".

UCLA never said they are moving to online. They said likely to resume in person in the fall. I went for many webinar sessions for UCLA already. I'm on a 14 hour time zone difference, hardly think it's easy to attend from home and function differently from my family
Purdue is in Indiana which is hardly affected by covid/protests. Plus they are really affordable, value for money. Name me a school in the $30k range that is ranked higher than Purdue. I can name >10 schools which are better than UCLA at the same price tag (which i didnt apply to because previously LA was such a good place to study in). This forum itself kept on bashing UCLA. I'm not the one bashing UCLA, I just said the location isnt ideal right now due to the "situation".
I understand your concern now, good luck, Purdue has a good rep overall, please stay safe and healthy.

I understand your concern now, good luck, Purdue has a good rep overall, please stay safe and healthy.
thanks! Sorry for sounding aggressive!😭😭
I am old (27 soon), and i live in singapore, our wages are really low. My parents are retiring soon (not a pension state) and I can't in good conscience expect them to sell their house for my education, then where would they live. They just bought a small apartment costing more than $1m sgd (housing is expensive). I was ready to sign a private loan for UCLA but my parents said that if I failed to get a job in US, then they would have to repay the loan for me. Which looking at the economy, even UCLA won't help much in terms of getting a job in US. My own savings are only $20k (monthly wage less about $3k usd after deducting forced savings by the govt), because i repaid back my undergraduate loan.

i am depending on a masters to change my career, which is why i don't want to wait too long.
i know people outside US prob never heard of purdue, but based on my interactions with the school they do try their best for their prospective students, unlike some schools that are super slow in replying and even costs more. I would be ok with a moderate salary increment to about $6k a month since I won't be in any debt, that's more than enough to support myself.

thanks! Sorry for sounding aggressive!😭😭
I am old (27 soon), and i live in singapore, our wages are really low. My parents are retiring soon (not a pension state) and I can't in good conscience expect them to sell their house for my education, then where would they live. They just bought a small apartment costing more than $1m sgd (housing is expensive). I was ready to sign a private loan for UCLA but my parents said that if I failed to get a job in US, then they would have to repay the loan for me. Which looking at the economy, even UCLA won't help much in terms of getting a job in US. My own savings are only $20k (monthly wage less about $3k usd after deducting forced savings by the govt), because i repaid back my undergraduate loan.

i am depending on a masters to change my career, which is why i don't want to wait too long.
i know people outside US prob never heard of purdue, but based on my interactions with the school they do try their best for their prospective students, unlike some schools that are super slow in replying and even costs more. I would be ok with a moderate salary increment to about $6k a month since I won't be in any debt, that's more than enough to support myself.
On the positive side you are from Singapore :) that means you are almost guaranteed an H1B :) seems like you know what you are doing, I am sure you will do great with either choice

I'm still joining. Sure there will be less jobs, but there will also be less competition as people defer their programs. I am not putting my life on hold, there will always be another reason to back out
I agree. I heard some programs have half the class size comparing to 2019.

International Columbia MFE admit here, I'm thinking of going unless there are travel restrictions or my visa application is rejected. I understand that having social distancing measures and (partially/fully) online classes would diminish what the program offers compared to past years, but after weighing my options I decided to go (where possible of course).

My company isn't doing very well so I can't really expect big bonus or increment in salary this/next year, and given the current economy it'd be tougher than usual to get a new job with better pay/prospects. Even if I defer to (or reapply) next year I'd probably just be doing similar things as I did last year - which isn't really a terrible thing now, when a lot of people are getting laid off and are struggling to survive, but I can't see that improving my profile to get admitted into the programs I wasn't admitted to this year (e.g. Princeton's MFin). If anything, given the number of people considering deferring/reapplying next year, I wouldn't be so sure about getting admitted again to the programs I was admitted to this year, if I can't defer my admission and have to reapply.

I'm fairly confident the program reputation and university brand name would give me a decent chance at landing interviews next year (hopefully the economy would be on its way to recovery by then). Of course nobody can say for certain whether that will be the case or not, but I've decided to take the leap, so I'll just do my best.

I wish everyone in a similar position (and upperclassmen looking for internships/full-time jobs this year) the best!
Hi May I ask for 2020, how many people deferred to next year in Columbia's Financial Engineering program? Thanks.

Hi May I ask for 2020, how many people deferred to next year in Columbia's Financial Engineering program? Thanks.
I doubt the program would release any official data on this so I have no idea about the real numbers.

That said, in the earlier zoom calls for admitted students back in June-July last year, there were maybe 90-100 people (this was back before we even knew if classes will be online/hybrid or if the US would allow foreign students to enter the country), and from the number of students in the MSFE seminar class we had in Spring semester (mandatory course for all MSFE students, which lasts for 2 semesters, so the number of students in the Spring course should include both those who enrolled in Fall 2020 and Spring 2021) were like 60-70. From those numbers I suppose at least 20-30 students admitted for Fall 2020 last year decided to either defer to Fall 2021 or withdrew their applications.

Back