• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Developer role with Java experience and no MFE possible?

Hi,

I would like your opinion on possible path path for me to be a financial developer. As you can see below, my profile is primarily that of a Java Developer.

I am currently based in Germany. I did my Bachelor in Engineering in Computer Science in India. My grades were no so great either (c.a 69%), which is First Division.

Then I moved to Germany to do my Master degree in Computer Science. My Master degree was quite rigorous (although it is supposed to be 2 years, but nobody can finish it 2 years). It involved doing a Project group for 1 year (20 hours/week). The programming language of choice was Java. I did couple of student jobs during my Masters. One at the Software Lab in the University as a Web Developer (9,5 hours/week). It was primarily a front end development job (JavaScript, jQuery, HTML, CSS, RDFXML, JSON etc). Then I did another student job as Java Developer and Tester at a company (20 hours/week). The programming language used was Java, and frameworks such as Apache CLI, Ant, JUnit, JUnitx, Mockito etc. I also wrote my Master Thesis on privacy protection of smart meters. Then I learned Backend Java frameworks such as Spring MVC, worked on Tomcat, MySQL, JSP, JSTL on my own developing a small web application.

I recently graduated with a 1,8 in my Masters (getting a 1 in Germany unlike in US is almost impossible). Right now I found myself a job as a Junior Java Developer at a company in Munich. The job profile involves using Spring, Hibernate, ZV, Hybris, etc.

Now assuming I work here for a couple of years, is it possible for me to find a position as a developer in the finance industry? Or do I need to know C++ for a developer role. I would like to either work in US or in Germany (Frankfurt). The MFE degree seems to entail a significant financial load (I wish US education system was like German education system :P). So I want to know whether I can enter finance industry without breaking my bank account.

>Developer role with Java experience and no MFE possible?
Yes, but do not expect a big surplus to your salary without knowledge of Fachgebiet

Even though you have a solid Bachelor and Master in Computer Science, you still need five years of industry development experience before people take you seriously as a developer. Two years would be too less experience to make a transfer.
Since your education and work experience is in Germany, it should be quite easy for you to settle down in Germany.
To come to USA you would have to join a consulting company which would sponsor your H1-B visa and send you to USA on contract. Most good companies in USA would pay your tuition to do part-time MFE if you enrolled, so it would not cost you anything.

You should try to develop your Java skills toward the skillset that is favorable to the more exciting Java-related development in finance. This generally means learning to deal with high message throughput and concurrency. A related technology often used with Java apps in banking is Tibco Rendezvous. Spring is used to load/initialize the different dependencies of an application, but Tibco is then used to relay messages between different applications. Front and back office apps also communicate often using FIX-like protocols, via Tibco.

Back