• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Different areas of quant and the relevant maths

Hello all! This is my first post, so be nice :) My interest in quant finance has grown since I first became cognizant of it a year ago, and as I select my math/stats/econ courses for the future, I would like to know specifically what areas of quant they find use in. For example, I have heard that trading relies heavily on stats, game theory, programming, data mining, probability, etc.

Alternatively, another way to respond to the thread would be to list a type of math, and the subfields to which it applies. For example, how PDE is used in options pricing, linear algebra in portfolio optimization, etc. I found the Baruch pre-MFE syllabi helpful in this regard, as they list the practical applications of each topic, though some of them go over my head (as I am not familiar with many of the terms listed).

Thanks!!

I hadn't seen that list yet... very helpful for my question, thanks!

Have you read all those books? That's a big list, but then again for someone already well established in the field I'm sure it's all stuff they assimilate over time. Pretty intimidating for me at this point though. :)

Mark, don't worry about the quantity of books in that list. Andy has compiled an extremely comprehensive list, but it is intimidating! The best thing is to start slow with some of the introductory texts and work up from there.

Back