• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

discussion about NUS MSFE at Singapore

Hi. I always got a lot of good information from here, and this is my first write.
I am working as a middle officer in Korea and planning to study more about financial engineering and get master's degree to change my carreer to front jobs.

My short term goal is to get a quant trading position in singapore or hongkong.(major IB or hedge fund) I thought that although I can try brand schools in US, it is better to study in singapore so that I can make some network in singapore. This network will help my carreer in singapore in a long run.

But recently I read some threads about 2nd tier MSFE schools. So I worry that whether the quality and brand(in singapore) of NUS MSFE program is far away from the quality of top 10 US schools. I also checked out that the number of full time students accepted at NUS MSFE is only 17.(more than 60 part time students) This number implies that the difficulty of this program would be less demanding than other programs.

So, could anyone introduce me about the reputation, placements and education quality of NUS MSFE program? Thank you.

Hi ! Can anybody provide the details of the program at NUS. I would like to know the course structure for NUS. I heard they are revising their course structure and stochastic calculus is being made mandatory ... How are the placements at Singapore for NUS ? Please provide the details . would appreciate your replies. thanks

I spoke with NUS MFE's program manager and was informed that the total number of full-time and part-time are 40 and 60 respectively. They're finalizing full-time admissions and starting the part-time one soon.

You may also want to consider looking at NTU MFE and SMU MQF. Hope this helps.

thanks,, but can anyone provide me the comparison between NUS and NTU ? course structure and placement opportunities

I would like to know the course structure for NUS. I heard they are revising their course structure and stochastic calculus is being made mandatory ...

Hmm did you hear that from the students or staff? I just checked the course website for the next intake and it still shows as optional.

Sidetrack... I just checked out the SMU website for their MQF program and saw that they have a new program - Master of Science in Innovation!!! Wonder how that'd work out...

Hmm did you hear that from the students or staff? I just checked the course website for the next intake and it still shows as optional.

Sidetrack... I just checked out the SMU website for their MQF program and saw that they have a new program - Master of Science in Innovation!!! Wonder how that'd work out...

I got to know from the NUS . They have sent a revised syllabus. their are on path of finalizing it yet. Stochastic Calculus will be mandatory if that happens.

Please it would be great if someone could provide details on NUS MFE / NTU MFE / job market scenario at singapore vs new york this is a good survey report. http://www.morganmckinley.com/sites/default/files/mm/ac/SingaporeSalaryGuide2011.pdf

Were there any specific questions you wanted to know? The local universities don't publish extremely detailed placement reports, it's more along the lines of xx% placed within x months of graduation, which wouldn't really help your decision making much I suppose.

If you're taking it part-time, you might prefer NUS over NTU since NUS has a higher percentage of part-timers (>50%), and you will get more valuable contacts from people in the industry.

It's typical of the local universities to have awards and prizes for achievements such as best performance in a module, or best average grade over a set of modules, etc. These are sponsored by various institutions and companies, so you might get some recognition within the sponsoring company if you win an award.

Other than that, from people I spoke to, the difference in recognition and brand name of the NUS and NTU MFE is almost indistinguishable in the local industry. I mentioned in another post that NUS is the better school, while NTU has the better business school. Since the NTU MFE is offered by the biz school, it evens out both programs.

Among students, it's the general consensus that NTU has the more robust curriculum, with criticisms primarily aimed at NUS not offering Stochastic Calculus as a core module (but you said this might change...). I feel that overall (disclaimer: I'm a student at neither program), the local programs are far from the technical level of the leading US programs. I also heard from a local career services staff that interviews for quant positions are not as technical as the ones you get in the US. This is also reflected in the fact that interviews for the local programs are mainly casual chats and non-technical.

Thanks jackcoke. NUS is planning to change their curriculum :
Compulsory Modules[1]

1. FE 5101 Derivatives and Fixed Income
2. FE5112 Stochastic Calculus and Quantitative Methods
3. FE5116 Programming and Advanced Numerical Methods
4. FE5209 Financial Econometrics
5. FE5107 Risk Analyses and Management
6. FE 5110 Financial Engineering Project

Optional Modules

7. FE5103 Equity Products and Exotics

8. FE5105 Corporate Financing and Risk

9. FE5108 Portfolio Theory and Investments

10. FE5210 Research Methods in Finance

11. FE5211 Seminar in Financial Engineering

12. FE5215 Seminar in Financial Product Innovations

13. FE5216 Financial Technology Innovations Seminars

14. FE5217 Seminar in Risk Management and Alternative Investment

15. FE2118 Credit Risk

16. FE5219 Credit Analytics Practicum

Were there any specific questions you wanted to know? The local universities don't publish extremely detailed placement reports, it's more along the lines of xx% placed within x months of graduation, which wouldn't really help your decision making much I suppose.

If you're taking it part-time, you might prefer NUS over NTU since NUS has a higher percentage of part-timers (>50%), and you will get more valuable contacts from people in the industry.

It's typical of the local universities to have awards and prizes for achievements such as best performance in a module, or best average grade over a set of modules, etc. These are sponsored by various institutions and companies, so you might get some recognition within the sponsoring company if you win an award.

Other than that, from people I spoke to, the difference in recognition and brand name of the NUS and NTU MFE is almost indistinguishable in the local industry. I mentioned in another post that NUS is the better school, while NTU has the better business school. Since the NTU MFE is offered by the biz school, it evens out both programs.

Among students, it's the general consensus that NTU has the more robust curriculum, with criticisms primarily aimed at NUS not offering Stochastic Calculus as a core module (but you said this might change...). I feel that overall (disclaimer: I'm a student at neither program), the local programs are far from the technical level of the leading US programs. I also heard from a local career services staff that interviews for quant positions are not as technical as the ones you get in the US. This is also reflected in the fact that interviews for the local programs are mainly casual chats and non-technical.

Thanks a lot for your reply. I have been offered a full time admission at NUS.
My brief profile is
GRE Q800 V 550 AWA 3.0
Graduation BITS Pilani - INDIA CGPA 8.69/10
Courses- Mathematics I,II,III, Numerical analysis, Operation research , optimization, control systems, communication system, thermodynamics, signal processing, C programming.
Projects - 2 projects on genetic algorithm optimization in MATLAB
Working with Deloitte , Risk advisory Team.

Now as i have been offered at NUS , i want to know
1) the job placement of NUS MFE program for people without relevant work experience.

2) I also plan to apply to MSMF Rutger . What do you think about MSMF Rutger vs NUS Singapore.
Tuition fees at NUS - 25500$ while at Rutger it is 50000$ (approx)

Which place will give me better job opportunities?

3)I feel if i plan to pursue PhD later on , NUS is a better choice as it is cheaper and has a brand name. what do you think are the chances of getting a PhD from USA after NUS?

Jackcoke - one more thing..

In USA
Top MSFE programs are
1) CMU, Baruch, Columbia, Cornell , Princeton and UChicago, Stanford , UCB.

What i feel my profile isn't that great to get into schools except Cornell and Columbia. Rutger and Boston are save bet for me . So what do u think should i apply next year for the two programs cornell and columbia or should go with NUS this year. My work experience in deloitte is not related to finance. It's only the brand name that will count.

Please let me know.

Thanks a lot for your reply. I have been offered a full time admission at NUS.
My brief profile is
GRE Q800 V 550 AWA 3.0
Graduation BITS Pilani - INDIA CGPA 8.69/10
Courses- Mathematics I,II,III, Numerical analysis, Operation research , optimization, control systems, communication system, thermodynamics, signal processing, C programming.
Projects - 2 projects on genetic algorithm optimization in MATLAB
Working with Deloitte , Risk advisory Team.

Now as i have been offered at NUS , i want to know
1) the job placement of NUS MFE program for people without relevant work experience.

2) I also plan to apply to MSMF Rutger . What do you think about MSMF Rutger vs NUS Singapore.
Tuition fees at NUS - 25500$ while at Rutger it is 50000$ (approx)

Which place will give me better job opportunities?

3)I feel if i plan to pursue PhD later on , NUS is a better choice as it is cheaper and has a brand name. what do you think are the chances of getting a PhD from USA after NUS?
Hi Jackcoke
waiting for your reply . need to make decision in a weeks time . Please guide . Thanks :)

I know from current students in the local programs that quite a few get placed into back office IT or risk roles, not to mention the weaker students or those without relevant experience. I don't know about Rutgers.

I don't have any specifics for you, so you might wanna try getting in touch with current or past students in the NUS program. It's very easy to find them through Linkedin. Get in touch with fellow Indian nationals and see where they place in and the difficulties of finding jobs in Singapore. You should expand your search to NTU MFE students also.

Take your time to do your due diligence before you move to a new country. I don't think you should base a last minute decision on what an anonymous poster on a forum says, much less someone named jackcoke double shot. ;)

Hi Everyone,

Any views on Distance Learning Program Of NUS MFE?

Any current/prospective student here?

I am not a graduate of either the NUS MFE or the NTU MFE program, but:
1) I have sat in on some NUS MFE classes,
2) I did my undergrad in NUS and took some of the MFE courses during my undergrad days,
3) Many of my colleagues hail from each of these programs.

I second jackcoke's assertion that the NTU program is more rigorous than the NUS program. I say this from seeing the homework that my colleagues were expected to do.

Both of these programs are also nowhere near the top-tier programs in the US. For one, the only programming that the NUS program requires is VBA. No java, no C++.

IMHO (and I hope I don't get slammed for saying this), another big downside of the NUS MFE program is that a lot of the professors teaching core modules are not local and speak with extremely heavy accents. Most local students are not able to understand them.

Back