• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Do I have a chance to go to a FE graduate program?

Major Economics and minor Mathematics at University of Washington.
Associate in Arts at North Seattle Community College.
UW GPA:3.70/4.00
North Seattle Community College GPA: 3.89/4.00
Math:
- Calculus sequences
- Multivariable Calculus
- Differential Equation
- Matrix Algebra
- Linear Analysis
- Probability Theory
- Mathematical Statistics
- Real analysis
Econ:
- Micro/Macro Theory
- Econometrics
- Game Theory
Programing:
- R
GRE:
- Not taken yet…
Questions:
1. Do I have a good chance? I don’t have a degree in Engineering or Mathematics though… However, I took more math courses than the basic Econ requirement, and I’m getting my minor as Mathematics for sure.
2. Not very strong at programming. In fact, only R and Excel were used in Econ courses. Does it matter?
3. I saw the MS in Financial Economics at Columbia. Therefore, MS in Financial Economics vs. MSE? Differences?

Hey everybody! Thanks for reading and leaving your comments! Happy New Year!

Thanks. Another question that I have come up with: say, the econ PhD programs would like to see you to do some research work in math or econ. Is it a plus to do some research before applying to the MSFE or they are not bothered? Again, thanks for your previous information.

Research experience isn't as important for MFE compared to PhD, relevant work experience would be more valuable.

You have a chance at getting into a FE program, what tier program is debatable.

Key things you will need to get into a top program (in my opinion):
1) Top GRE scores. 800Q is a must and while a high verbal and AWA isn't necessary, having above average will help you stand out.

2) You have less programming exposure than many applicants, but you know R which is good. Become really good at R, beyond a basic level. Also, teaching yourself some basic C++ would help.

3) Great letters of recommendation.

4) If you have time for a finance related internship go for it.

5) In your essays/statement of purpose, you really need to convince the admissions board on how you have the skills/knowledge (math, programming, finance, etc) to be successful in the program and beyond and also how your economics background gives you a unique edge or viewpoint. Be able to tie economics with your future career goals.

You can take a look at the C++ books (Joshi, etc) used in several MFE programs and try to do all the hw, projects there
Master reading list for quants, MFE students
hmm... I'm taking some Applied Mathematics next quarter, hopefully to make up some programing flaws. Since I'm an Econ major, I'm surely not the black sheep of the pool. Do I have to take more math? If so, which ones? Thanks Andy, I love your posts and your articles. Big fan of them.

Back