• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Does age matter?

Hi everyone,

As many on this forum, I'm considering a career change and switch from my assistant professor life to a more exciting one(?) as a quantitative analyst.

It might sound like a silly question, but I was just wondering if older age (say 35) can be a disadvantage when applying for that kind of job.

Besides, I have a PhD in computer science and applied mathematics from a decent institution, but no experience in finance. I think I have several options:
- try to apply for a job now. I know that some companies don't require prior experience in finance.
- get a master in finance engineering from my university, which I could do next year without even quitting my job. It's not an outstanding program (not bad, but not great. And probably unheard of in the US which is where I'd like to work).
- try to join a more renowned MFE in the US. It would be a much bigger investment in term of time and money.

Any advice?

Thanks,
G.

If I were you, I would apply for a job in finance right away. While looking for a job, you can take/audit core finance courses at your current school.

If you have no ego issue and no problem working with people who are much younger who may be your boss, then your age shouldn't be a problem. Working in finance is quite a big change for people used to academic. Some may have to overcome cultural and mental shock.
Here is a similar thread about age Maybe a silly question: age issue for MFE - QuantNetwork - Financial Engineering Forum

You have a PhD in CS and applied math so people will automatically assume that you have programming and math components well versed. You can pick up finance books, spend a few months to learn it. Or do the local mfe program.

The problem with studying in a place unheard of in the US which is where I'd like to work is that there may be few jobs. Most positions are in NYC, Chicago.

Back