• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Does anyone hear about U of Waterloo?

<TABLE style="TABLE-LAYOUT: fixed" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width="85%" height="100%">

I would like to know whether Waterloo is a good school in the eyes of the Americans. If I graduate from Waterloo, how much the chance I can find a decent quant job in U.S.?

Thanks a lot.

</TD></TR><TR><TD class=smalltext vAlign=bottom width="85%"><TABLE style="TABLE-LAYOUT: fixed" width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=smalltext width="100%" colSpan=2></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Why would you go into a physics PhD. knowing you want a quant job ?

Anyways, you turned down Stanford ? thats something!!!

I have hard time believing Waterloo theoretical physics is better than Stanford.

bad choice =S.. why would you decline stanford for waterloo =(. You should know the perimeter institute at waterloo is SEPERATE from U of Waterloo right?. By the way, I am a student at waterloo.. and physics is NOT our strong department. Its CS or Engineering.

From a practical point of view, if you want to get a job in the US (not just quant job specifically), you go to school in the US. In the eyes of American, of course Stanford is better know than Waterloo, which is in Canada.
People may not know who has the best theoretical physics in the world but I doubt US recruiters would make Waterlook a targeted school over those in the US. And you didn't decide to go to Waterloo because you want to be a physicist, so its reputation in theoretical physics is a moot point.

Why not apply to Waterloo's Master of Quantitative Finance program if you want to be a quant?

Why not apply to Waterloo's Master of Quantitative Finance program if you want to be a quant?

I do love physics, but it is extremely difficult to find a faculty position in these days. So I have no choice...

I know some guys in the MQF of waterloo. Honestly, I think their math fundament is far away from solid and programing skill is unbelievable poor. The most terrible thing is they are not smart.

Why would you go into a physics PhD. knowing you want a quant job ?

I have to agree with this. Why do you want to do a PhD in Physics if you want to do Quant Finance after. This will conspire against you just because you won't see any finance and a LOT of physics. It's not that you are discovering finance after physics.

I have hard time believing Waterloo theoretical physics is better than Stanford.

Why is so hard to believe that Waterloo theoretical physics is better than Stanford? I really have no idea but, for all terms and purposes, it could be.

I only know the University of Waterloo has excellent programs in CS and Math. Comparing them to other programs is a bit of a stretch.

Back