• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Does CFA or FRM help?

hi, everyone!

i am now a graduate student majoring in computer science, and i want to further my education in MFE. i have good programming background and my math is OK. However, i have taken none financial classes. All i have done about finance is some self-learning. i wander if a CFA or FRM certificate can help prove my basic understanding about finance? Thank you!

It really does help as far as understanding basics of finance are concerned (especially if you are switching from a tech field).

Also as far as my experience the value universities give to these certifications while evaluating an application varies. UCB, CMU and Columbia would give these slightly higher value than say NYU

Thank you, babinu. The information you give is really valuable for me.

Both will introduce you to large bodies of knowledge. I encourage people to consider them after they have a job.
Thank you for your good advice. I agree with you that these certificates are better for people who has/want a job. But now I`m not hunting a job. I want to get enrolled in a good graduate school to further my study. Would you like to share some advice about how to enhance the financial background for a student majoring in CS? I would really appreciate it.

Back