• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Does finance use managed code in C++?

Just wondering, for those of you who've had some inside experience of the use of C++ within a quantitative (and especially, finance) environment, how common is the Microsoft Managed Extensions framework? (I.e. that provided by the .Net framework?)

Any bad/good experiences using managed vs unmanaged, and should I get heavily into learning unmanaged before I then go about trying to make use of the .Net extensions, purely because of what the industry will expect?

If you want to do C++ in finance, avoid managed code since it is not really C++. In my experience, few people use C++ managed code in finance. Actually, I have heard of only one of my friends in finance (and I do have a lot) that uses managed C++. He works for a japanese bank in Luxemburg, very odd combination.
OTOH, C# is used more often when managed code is involved.

Cheers

I've got a reasonable history working with C#, and really quite like it, but my C++ stems from some stuff I did several years ago for a game programming major and so managed code wasnt even an issue at that point.

Trying to decide where to best invest my time.

C++/CLI is not so common in my experience. Its syntax is different from ANSI C++and it can be confising when you mix * and ^ operators in my opinion.
If you want .NET I would choose C# which is very powerful.

Well, I'm already quite experienced as a .Net C# developer (and I admit, I really do quite like a LOT of what C# has to offer), but I am trying to move into more quantitative role and finding that there is a distinct lack of employers using C# for such work. The focus is still very much on C++ it would seem.

I have some C++ experience from a game programming major I completed several years ago, and am in the process of brushing up on my skills now, as much to play around with some of my own ideas as anything.

The problem seems to be, at least partially for me, that I am overqualified for lower-level C++ positions because of my existing work history, and yet not qualified enough for the mid-to-upper positions. Not sure how to best proceed...:-k

Back