• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Econ vs Math, Physics, CS

Hi. I am a Economics student who wants to get in quant enviroment.
I like mathematics, stats, finance and programming and I thought that economics would not be the fastest and right option to reach the goal because here at university the career's study plan has a very poor level of math and stats and almost nothing related with finance. I mentioned these subjects because I have been reading about the main fields required for a quant such as math (Or physics), CS, Stats and finance, so I wanna ask you for help to decide which of these degree (Math, Physics or CS) could I take and why should I do it.
Thank u for reading

PD: Sorry for redaction, English is not my mother tongue

Last edited:
Honestly, go for maths and computer science. I studied econ+finance (hnrs) and comp sci+maths for electives, and in restropect, I would say you'll do yourself a favor by studying maths + comp sci. Taking those two majors are not a golden ticket in itself, but if you work hard, you'll have a very strong baggage.

Ultimately, self-studying and inner motivation trumps a lot of other factors IMO. But you only have 24 hours in a day...

Honestly, go for maths and computer science. I studied econ+finance (hnrs) and comp sci+maths for electives, and in restropect, I would say you'll do yourself a favor by studying maths + comp sci. Taking those two majors are not a golden ticket in itself, but if you work hard, you'll have a very strong baggage.

Ultimately, self-studying and inner motivation trumps a lot of other factors IMO. But you only have 24 hours in a day...
Thank u so much!

Back