• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Education advice for a wannabe quant from Denmark

I am an engineering student from Denmark at the Technical University of Denmark (DTU). For my bachelor I studied life science engineering and I started studying systems biology for my masters. However, the only classes in school I have ever been really motivated about has been mathematics and programming (though I never really saw it as an option for me to concentrate on that: too geeky, I thought). I knew I wasnt really happy about was I was studying so I tried working as an part-time analyst at a management consultancy firm, to see if the business side of things was something for me, but that was waaaay to soft for me.
Then I decided, to heck with it - I wanna do something with math and programming. Well, about a half year ago I decided to call the program director for a studyline at my university called "MSc Mathematical modelling & Computation" to hear if there was any possibility that I could be enrolled. I told me that I was a little too short on maths and programming courses but if I used some of my electives on my current program to take some maths and programming courses I could enroll after Christmas. So I used all summer for brushing up on probability, alot of calculus, linear algebra and matlab - I was already okay at R.
Meanwhile, I discovered Quantnet and read a little about quantitative finance. I thought it sounded interesting so I took the coursera course "Introduction to computational finance and financial econometrics" which was pretty interesting I thought (and easy).
So this semester I am taking an undergraduate course in systems of differential equations, an undergraduate course in numerical methods using matlab, an introductory course in C++ for computing, and an graduate level course in stochastic processes. (I find the stochastic processes course pretty difficult - and the professor teaching the class is not a very good teacher).
I am becoming more and more interesting in quantitative finance and almost certain now that this is something I wanna pursue. I am buying alot of books and use all of my time on maths, programming and reading about quantitative finance. For the first time I am really motivated about school.
I am starting the Master in Mathematical Modelling and Computation after Christmas and these are the courses I am planning on taking (masters in Denmark are always 2 full-time year programs):
- Optimization and Datafitting (using matlab)
- Stochastic Simulation (using R)
- Scientific Computing for differential equations (using matlab)
- Introduction to Operations Research (a undergraduate course - but I need it)
- Multivariate Statistics
- Time Series Analysis
- Introductory Machine learning and Data mining (using python)
- Financial Optimization (using some unknown program called GAMS)
- Financial Products (with VBA and excel - pretty basic course)
- Financial Risk Management (with matlab)
- Continuous-Time Finance (at Copenhagen University) (mostly a course on SDE's I think)

I am also considering
- Advanced time series analysis (with R)
- Digital Signal Processing (with matlab)

I am also planning on taking the Quantnet C++ certificate summer 2014.

Are these good courses for a career in quantitative finance?

Due to some rules at my university I am actually allowed to take more credit points because I will switch studyline. That means that I can have 150 ects points on master instead of the normal 120 points.
So I was planning to take an extra course each semester.
But my questions is, am I rushing it? - Right now I actually feel a little bit like I am taking in too much information and it maybe wont have time to settle. My experience is that even though I am pretty good at absorbing the curriculum for a given course and get a high score; if I learn it too quickly, it will also disappear quickly. And I don't want to be good at maths and programming just for the exams.
Should I not take the extra courses or should I maybe just extend the duration of my studies.
Higher education in Denmark is free. The government actually pays me a grand $ every month for studying, but soon they wont (because I have studied for too long).

Last edited:
FYI: Countinous time finance at University of Copenhagen is a great course, however, the course assumes that you have some knowledge of measure theory. Two courses of measure theory are mandatory if you study mathematics at University of Copenhagen.

Last edited:
FYI: Countinous time finance at University of Copenhagen is a great course, however, the course assumes that you have some knowledge of measure theory. Two courses of measure theory are mandatory if you study mathematics at University of Copenhagen.

I will probably have to read "measure theory" by ernst hansen then? - Is this a good book for self-study?

The best course of action is to find an intership or some type of work/study. The application of the material is what helps you retain it.

Soren S. Nielsen

Technical University of Denmark - Informatics and Mathematical Modeling
He was on my PhD dissertation committee at Texas, Austin. He is now at Technical University of Denmark. Why don't you talk to him. He is an expert in Financial Modeling, specially in Mortgage Backed Securites.

I will probably have to read "measure theory" by ernst hansen then? - Is this a good book for self-study?

I think that the book is good for self-study. Ernst Hansen spends a lot of space on motivating why the different concepts are importent, which I really like. However, I have only read to measure theory books, so I am not an expert :)

Back