• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Energy, mainly alt.energy

I was wondering if anyone in the community could suggest the best way to learn about the energy market as a whole and the Alt.energy industry. I would like to do some independent analysis for fun on these markets and understand it from a macro-micro prospective however I am not sure where to begin. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

This is a question around optimal ignorance, to identify what you should learn next we need to know what you know now.

This is a question around optimal ignorance, to identify what you should learn next we need to know what you know now.

I'm sorry, I thought this part of the sentence"anyone in the community could suggest the best way to learn about the energy market as a whole and the Alt.energy industry" or this part of the sentence " I am not sure where to begin. Any advice would be greatly appreciated" but DominiConnor to be clear how about I ask this way instead, I was wondering if anyone in the community could suggest the best way to learn about the energy market as a whole and the Alt.energy industry, I know NOTHING? I would like to do some independent analysis for fun on these markets and understand it from a macro-micro prospective however I am not sure where to begin. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Zero is the easiest level to model :)

The difference between commodity/energy markets and financial ones is that you need to know a lot more about the thing you are modelling. Dollars or shares can be moved in an instant to or from anywhere, and dollars are all the same, oil is not.
Equities can be stored, energy rarely can.

All of that should be obvious and known to you, but it illustrates that what you need to work on in parallel with the standard maths is the mechanics of production and distribution. For instance Germany has far more investment in alt energy than Britain, but Britain ha a better electricity grid and has more non-carbon energy than most European states as well as more oil.
Grids are a big issue since most were built to handle a small number of "dense" energy plants near where it is consumed.
Alt energy is often made far from its consumption and is far more spread out.

So being wise in the way of grids will help a lot.

I chose grids first because they are independent of the energy source, be it wind, geothermal, waste etc and it avoids you having to bet your career on a source that may not turn out to be important. Since alt energy is now one of the biggest centres of bullshit in finance, you can't trust anyone who says "x will be the dominant source" or even that it will be useful in ten years.

Grids are also important to trading, so I'm confident that this will have value.

Also of course each of the alt energy sources has flaws mostly in producing energy when we don't want it, ie photovoltaic only works in the day, and the correlation between wind and baseline energy consumption is shit. So a good area for serious math modelling is those correlations, although it is not my area I see a strong relationship between hedging a portfolio and constructing a set of sources which when combined will provide a mildly reliable stream of power. However for any source you must be wise in modelling the distributioin of events when it cannot deliver. Many types of windmill can't cope with too much wind, as well as too little, waste to be burned into power actually fluctuates a lot, and the sun don't always shine on me.

DominiConnor, now this is the type of answer I was looking for. Thanks a lot.

Back