• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Financial Engineering PhD program?

sculd

hjlim
I will apply for graduate schools in USA this year, and I did some internet search for Financial Engineering programs. My concern is that there are few programs that offer FE ph.d, instead most FE programs offer MS only.

I want to get ph.d, because I like to study and I want to use deepest ideas to make usesful models like, rentec guys do.

Please somebody let me know about ph.d FE program and I want to know your opinion on working as a quant with MD or Ph.D.

Have a nice day.

There are none. There are programs where you can get PhD in a certain discipline and take FE courses and get a certificate or some other paper stating that you've done some work in FE. One problem with them is that you won't know as much FE as people doing MS in FE because you have to study for your required discipline. You might, however, have your PhD thesis on a topic from FE. But you need to find an advisor who knows FE, wants to work with you, and has time for you.

Yes, Andy, that one is in Mathematical Finance. The other one that has Financial Engineering component at a PhD level is UF, where I spent year and a half before returning to MFE.
PhD program with concentration in Quantitative Finance
The program is run by the Department of Industrial Engineering, but you can also be in the Math Department, Stats Department, or Finance Department. Those who are in IE are the closest ones to FE, but their areas of expertise are limited to Faculty Interests. That is, no PDEs, no option pricing, no structured finance, no credit derivatives. It is mostly portfolio management and risk management. They are the ones who work on CVaR.

Found another one with exactly what you are looking for Phd in Financial Engineering. Interesting

Ph.D. in Financial Engineering

Applications are not accepted for the Ph.D. in Financial Engineering. Those interested in the degree must first apply for admission to the MSFE program. Upon completion of 32 units of coursework toward the MSFE, students may apply for admission to the Ph.D. Admission is not guaranteed, and is based on a student's entire record.

Berkeley - Haas Schol PhD Finance Berkeley, CA
Boston College - Carroll School PhD Finance Econometrics Chestnut Hill, MA
Boston University PhD Mathematical Finance Boston, MA
Carnegie Mellon PhD Mathematical Finance Stochastics, Financial Economics Pittsburgh, PA
Claremont Graduate University - Drucker School PhD Financial Engineering Claremont, CA
Cornell University PhD Operations Research Ithaca, NY
Florida State University PhD Financial Mathematics Tallahassee, FL
Illinois Institute of Technology - Stuart School PhD Management Science Derivatives, Corporate Finance, Investments Chicago, IL
Purdue University PhD Mathematics with Focus on Computational Finance West Lafayette, IN
Rutgers University PhD Finance Newark, NJ
Stanford University PhD Finance Dynamic Asset Pricing Stanford, CA
Stanford University PhD Statistics Financial Mathematics Stanford, CA
University of Arizona - Eller PhD Management with Concentration in Finance Tucson, AZ
University of Alabama - Culverhouse PhD Finance Tuscaloosa, AL
University of Houston - Bauer School PhD Finance Fixed Income, Derivatives, Quants Houston, TX
University of Nebraska Lincoln PhD Business Administration Econometrics Lincoln, NB
University of Chicago PhD Finance Chicago, IL
University of Florida PhD Quantitative Finance
University of Pennsylvania - Wharton School PhD Finance
Vanderbilt University - Owen School PhD Finance Derivatives, Statistics, Differential Mathematics

Andy, you've done a lot of searching :) I've never heard of Claremont University. I have a feeling that it is just a PhD in Finance with some Math flavor :)

The "deepest ideas" is an worthy thing to aim for.
But...
We find that finance PhDs often have done "deep new" ideas rather less often that we would expect.
As a headhunter, I will share with an interesting ratio.
We sometimes get hiring managers who say "we want maths/physics/statistics/signal processing" PhDs only.
We almost never get managers asking for finance PhDs only.

What was your undergrad degree ?

Then , Among them Is there any program that give us half a chance to obtain master degree after completing coursework ?

Columbia has one as well.. The PhD in IEOR (industrial engineering and operations research) with doctoral concentration in Financial Engineering - this is a PhD in FE.

PhD in FE

Domini,

Has the situation changed in last few years?

Vikas

The "deepest ideas" is an worthy thing to aim for.
But...
We find that finance PhDs often have done "deep new" ideas rather less often that we would expect.
As a headhunter, I will share with an interesting ratio.
We sometimes get hiring managers who say "we want maths/physics/statistics/signal processing" PhDs only.
We almost never get managers asking for finance PhDs only.

What was your undergrad degree ?

Berkeley - Haas Schol PhD Finance Berkeley, CA
Boston College - Carroll School PhD Finance Econometrics Chestnut Hill, MA
Boston University PhD Mathematical Finance Boston, MA
Carnegie Mellon PhD Mathematical Finance Stochastics, Financial Economics Pittsburgh, PA
Claremont Graduate University - Drucker School PhD Financial Engineering Claremont, CA
Cornell University PhD Operations Research Ithaca, NY
Florida State University PhD Financial Mathematics Tallahassee, FL
Illinois Institute of Technology - Stuart School PhD Management Science Derivatives, Corporate Finance, Investments Chicago, IL
Purdue University PhD Mathematics with Focus on Computational Finance West Lafayette, IN
Rutgers University PhD Finance Newark, NJ
Stanford University PhD Finance Dynamic Asset Pricing Stanford, CA
Stanford University PhD Statistics Financial Mathematics Stanford, CA
University of Arizona - Eller PhD Management with Concentration in Finance Tucson, AZ
University of Alabama - Culverhouse PhD Finance Tuscaloosa, AL
University of Houston - Bauer School PhD Finance Fixed Income, Derivatives, Quants Houston, TX
University of Nebraska Lincoln PhD Business Administration Econometrics Lincoln, NB
University of Chicago PhD Finance Chicago, IL
University of Florida PhD Quantitative Finance
University of Pennsylvania - Wharton School PhD Finance
Vanderbilt University - Owen School PhD Finance Derivatives, Statistics, Differential Mathematics

4 years past, any new FE phD programs?

Back