• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Financial Engineering stuff for Indian students

Joy Pathak

Swaptionz
Just wondering if there are many financial engineering programs in India. Many students want to get refresher courses/basic mathematical finance courses/etc. These might be some cheaper alternatives to taking online courses from columbia/berkeley and then applying to USA.

1) Here is a 3 semester program @ IFMR-Chennai:

Centre for Advanced Financial Studies

They have many programs actually. That is one of them. They teach stochastic calculus/econometrics/etc.

2) Here is an Exec Program between UCLA and ISB

Centre for Advanced Financial Studies

3) Indian Institute of Capital Markets provides these two

A.PG Diploma in securities market: 1 year full time., qualification:- any PG holders or degree with two year relevant experiences can apply. Admission is on the basis of written test and interview.exam.:: Welcome to Indian Institute of Capital Markets ::
COST: Rs 1,80,000/-

B.Certificate In Financial Engineering:- It is a part time certificate course., duration:-4months, qualification:- knowledge in financial theory,maths,economics,computer. :: Welcome to Indian Institute of Capital Markets :: Rs. 70,000

4) This is a certificate program by NISM (posted by Andy on this forum)

Certificate in Financial Engineering and Risk Management (CFERM)

5) I heard Jadavpur University Faculty of Engineering started a Fin Eng program too with a UK university. But I could not find anything.

6) India Institute of Quantitative Finance - They offer a few certificates and so on. http://www.iqfindia.com/

Here are some online programs that some american universities I came accross were offering. They offer certificates in mathematics, single online courses, etc, at a VERY cheap rate. $525 per credit for some engineering courses. For students who want to get the pre-reqs for fin eng, could look into this. The columbia and berkeley courses were expensive for many of the Indian and Chinese students so maybe this will help.

1)Online, Distance, and Continuing Education at Colorado State University They have certificates in statistics and offer programming courses.

$520 / credit for Stats courses.

2) http://www.online.uillinois.edu/catalog/CourseSearch.asp They have lots of certificates and courses in mathematics and programing also. It's University of Illinois so it's legit.

$695 per credit hour average,

3) http://www.outreach.uidaho.edu/eo/ViewPage.aspx?pid=95 A Statistics certificate

4) Distance Masters of Science in Mathematics Texas A&M

Mathematics & Statistics Degrees Online | Science Here is a list. Just make sure you don't pick the "Teaching Math" ones.

I would assume doing the math courses on these universities online program should be legitimate for admission purposes and pre-reqs? They are known universities. Some of the online courses you might have to be located in North America or USA, not sure about it though. Let me know if any say that.

I'll add some more stuff as I see them.

It's a bit un-organised. Sorry. I might make a better list maybe as a blog post if there is enough need for it. Feel free to post links and programs that you guys know off too.

@joy: There's a Financial Engineering masters program at IFMR. I applied there, got a straight reject because of my low undergrad percentage. Anyway, an admission there is not an easy one. They have a math test too and you sure know how insane the Indian math is..

Anyway, good post bro!

@joy: There's a Financial Engineering masters program at IFMR. I applied there, got a straight reject because of my low undergrad percentage. Anyway, an admission there is not an easy one. They have a math test too and you sure know how insane the Indian math is..

Anyway, good post bro!

Yes, students applying for financial engineering should meet all the requirements for the regular MBA program. However, if you meet any of the below criteria, CAT score is exempted:
B.Tech from IIT with a GPA of 7.5 or above
GRE score of 1550 and above
GMAT score of 750 and above

Lol That's intense.

They have good placement record though. Strong connections ICICI and Axis Bank and so on.

Yea it sure has got super fame in India. It's the best school for the ones who are interested in Finance. By the way, requirements: Btech IIT (this is high time sick): gross! I had a 710 on GMAT, and I thought this would be a cake walk, but hell they proved me wrong.

Indian Econ is a vast field man. I mean there are hell a lot of constraints, and it's rigorously quant oriented rather than programming oriented.

This is what exactly I wanted. How is the option of distance eduction? (Master)

NUS have distance learning program for MFE.

Can anybody share views on it?

Joy Pathak : do you have any idea regarding NUS MFE -distance learning ?

Back