• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Financial Market: University of Warsaw vs University of Technology Sydney

Hello, I make this thread in order to seek for some good advice from experienced members in this forum. I have applied to University of Warsaw for an MA in Quantitative Finance and to University of Technology Sydney for the Master of Quantitative Finance. Both programs offer really good curriculum and I'm having a hard time deciding which school to enroll in in case I get accepted from both schools. Here is my assessment for both programs:

MA in Quantitative Finance (Uni of Warsaw), 2-year program:

Strengths:

- high chance of getting a full scholarship that covers everything including tuition fee, living expenses, air ticket, etc...
- if I dont get that scholarship, the tuition is very affordable for me (EUR 2100/year) and the living expenses are not a worry for me.
- the school has a trading lab sponsored by OSTC. This gives me the opportunity to practice what I learn in class so I can get the sense of what trading really is.
- Already get accepted by the school
- Ranks 20th in the top 100 Master in financial market (Eduniversal)
- Best in Poland according to the university website
- Good opportunity for part-time job since the city has a somewhat big Vietnamese community (this point is not very important)
- No aggressive marketing. They dont seem to give a damn about whether or not you choose their school. If you ask, they will answer, no follow-up email as opposed to other schools that I contact
- The 1st year of the program is very compatible with CFA level 1. They claim that after students conclude the 1st year, they can take the CFA lv 1 exam in June.

Weaknesses:

- Poland as a study destination is not highly regarded from people in my country
- The lecturers over there may not speak good English (I do not either)

Here is the complete list of subjects for the MA in Quantitative Finance from Uni of Warsaw:

- Statistics & Econometrics
- Macroeconomics of Finance
- Mathematical Methods in Finance
- Time Series Analysis
- Advanced Microeconomics (Asset Pricing)
- Advanced Macroeconomics
- Quantitative Strategies - High Frequency Data
- Financial Statement Analysis
- Ethical Standards and Financial Law
- Asset Allocation and Investment Strategies I
- Asset Allocation and Investment Strategies II
- Equity and Fixed Income
- Derivatives Markets
- Corporate Finance
- Computational Finance
- Risk Analysis and Modelling I
- Risk Analysis and Modelling II
- Theory and practice of option pricing
- Empirics of Financial Markets
- Automatic Transactional Systems
- C++ in Quantitative Finance I
- C++ in Quantitative Finance II
- 2 elective courses from any other department

Master of Quantitative Finance (UTS), 2-year program:

Strengths:

- maybe better known to Vietnamese recruiters since there are lots of graduates from Australian schools in Vietnam working for big firms at the moment.
- Better chance of landing a local job after graduation. In Poland, there is a minimal chance that I can get a job after graduation
- The lecturers are native so it's better in terms of communication
- Better weather (not very important)
- No aggressive marketing even though they did send me some newsletters but I havent seen them trying to convince me to study in their program

Weaknesses:

- It costs me a fortune to study the program (AUD 34,000 per year) plus living expenses
- Rank very low (mid 80 or something in the top 100 Master in Financial Market - Eduniversal)
- No scholarship
- Not compatible with the CFA lv 1.

Here is the complete list of subjects for the Master of Quantitative Finance from UTS:

- Financial Markets Instruments
- Portfolio Analysis
- Financial Econometrics
- Financial Risk Management
- Credit Risk
- Mathematical Finance
- Numerical Analysis for Quantitative Finance
- Computational Methods and Model Implementation
- Statistical Methods for Quantitative Finance
- Fundamentals of Derivative Security Pricing
- Probability Theory and Stochastic Processes
- Interest Rate Modelling

At the moment, my decision inclines toward studying at University of Warsaw because I may not pay anything for my education. However, I still wanna hear some opinions from you guys before I make my final decision.

Thank you

P.S: Any thought about the Eduniversal ranking for Financial market?

Back