• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Free SVN Hosting

Hi all,

many maybe familiar with this already, but for those who didn't know:

Basically, I have been working on different (physical) locations like home, uni, work,... on the same coding projects. I got annoyed by having to email to myself the latest changes and updates I have made so that I could continue working with the latest version anywhere.

My current company has no svn server, so that didn't help either (might suggest that for the future). Anyway, I came across a great free svn host who allows you to have multiple (private) repositories on their space. Their limit is 2GB server space so that's more than enough for individual projects, I'd say. The host in question is:

Accelerate your team with online workspaces | Home | Assembla

I have migrated all my projects onto their server. On the client side, I am using the TortoiseSVN shell extension:

tortoisesvn.tigris.org

Works like a charm and made managing the coding aspects of life so much easier :D.

you can create one for free at google. However, I would recommend using a more advance distributed source control system like Mercurial or Git. You can get free accounts on BitBucket or GitHub

I checked out google as well, but don't they offer public (eg open-source) projects only? I'll check out the others you suggested, though.

my two cents worth

Hi Tobias,

Thank you for mentioning Assembla . You describe it as a site that offers free svn hosting but according to their site they also offer free git hosting with the same terms.

For a couple of years I've been hosting my own git repositories. This works fine but it would be nice to be able to push these out to some place online. I'll check out Assembla for this purpose. All the others that I know about ( github, gitorious, google code) offer free hosting but only for open source projects and not all my work is open source.

I agree with Alain that git is a more advanced source code control system. Over the past couple of years I went from using svn ( not distributed ) to bzr ( too slow ) to mercurial ( had problems with large files ) to git. So far I'm pretty happy with git.

I'd second suggestion from alain: when having control over the choice of VCS, these days there is really no reason to choose anything but distributed VCS, like Mercurial (which should probably come more natural to an existing SVN user) or git. Advantages of a distributed VCS are numerous (user could do his work even without network connectivity being available all the time, all project history is stored locally so many operations are much faster than with centralized VCS, branching/merging support is usually much more robust than with centralized VCS, etc.), and both systems have some kind of bridges allowing basic client-side workflow to function reasonably well even when centralized VCS is forced upon you as a choice of management, or other members of the team.

Yes, I forgot to mention Git.

I am not familiar with other source control systems and found SVN in connection with TortoiseSVN very quick to set up and use. This is not for work purposes but rather for my own projects. For me there is no need for a more advanced system, really.

if you are the only one working with the code, SVN will work perfectly. However, when more than one person start to share the code, things could get messy in a hurry.

Here's a benefit of distributed version control that applies even if there is only one person working on the project...

If you are using a third party svn provider ( such as Assembla ) to host your code and that host goes out of business or has a data loss then you lose all your code history. On the other hand, if you are using a third party git provider ( which also could be
Assembla ) and they go out of business then you lose nothing since your entire code history is stored on the local disk where you made your latest changes prior to pushing your work out to the third party.

Moreover, it's easy to push the complete repository ( history and all ) out to a different third party git server if need be. I believe this is a fairly difficult thing to do with a third party svn repository - even if the 3rd party svn repository is working properly. With git it's easy even if the third party git repository is defunct.

if you are the only one working with the code, SVN will work perfectly. However, when more than one person start to share the code, things could get messy in a hurry.

Partially agree - all depends what branching/tagging policy you follow in your team to maintain your code.

when the code base grows big, merging with SVN is a disaster when you compare it to merging with Mercurial.

Back