• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

COMPARE FSU MSMF vs UC MSMF

Hi there, I was admitted to two programs in Mathematical Finance (no top universities) one at FSU and the other at UCincinnati and I am making my decision on this. I am starting to work on becoming a new quant emphasizing in stochastics processes and programming abilities (C++). Reviewing the courses of both programs I am not clear about which of them is the best suitable for my purpose. I must comment that after completing one of these programs I'll be looking forward for a PhD in Statistics at Stanford (Stanford because its program has a deep focus on Stochastic Process and Probability although NYU's PhD in Applied Mathematics is a really good one).

On one hand UC looks stronger than FSU in Programming and SP courses but on the other hand the FSU program was created in 1998 vs ???? at UC and FSU belongs and participate in most of the events of QF in USA while UC don't.

So, Which program would you recommend? I must look to the faculty as a decisive factor in my decision?

Thank you very much for your help on this,

if your goal is a PhD, why didn't you apply to the PhD program directly?

For many of these professional programs, if you mention your plan to pursue a PhD afterward, you are sure to get rejected.
I'm not too familiar with the two mentioned, I can only assume neither of them is a professional degree program nor you disclosed your PhD plan during the application.
If you set on doing PhD, C++ shouldn't be what you worry about. You rather research on which program will provide you with a strong theoretical background and research opportunities so you can use it for your PhD application and study.
I'm not entirely sure you realize that people do these MFE, MFN, MCQF to get a job, not to go on PhD. Like Alain said, why not do the PhD directly and not wasting time and money.

The PhD is my goal and for that reason I applied to 5 universities for taking a PhD but I was rejected by 4 of them. One of them is giving me the opportunity of pursuing the MSMF and then continuing to the PhD program. For UC was different because I applied to the MSMF and mentioned in my SoP that I would like to continue with a PhD afterwards and they gave me the chance.

I am not looking for a profesional degree on the contrary I am looking for a MS which prepares me in areas such math and statistics for increasing my chances of being admitted to the PhD program. I want to find a job after completing the Phd program.

Also I need to acknowledge that this year the competition for being admitted into a PhD was fierce. For instance, Stanford announced that this year more than 100 students applied to the PhD program and more than 100 applied to the MS in Statistics. Also more than 370 applied for the MFM.

So, in order to prepare myself for the PhD program your suggestion is that I must pay attention to the research level at each university.

As far as I must profound my skills in Stochasts Process and PDE if I want to become a trader right? Thank you very much for your advice.

Later, OKGB

are you looking to do a PhD to become a trader later? Maybe I didn't understand your post.

Yes it is!!! I want to get a PhD and then I become a trader. It is the right way?

I think you might be wasting your time going through a PhD if you want to become a trader. You better like to study though because it's going to be a long 5-7 years.

Never heard of any PHD program that prepares students as Trader, and haven't met a trader that holds PHD. Maybe my world is too small :)

High School degree used to be sufficient to be a trader :)

Now things might change, but PhD is definitely overkill.

Never heard of any PHD program that prepares students as Trader, and haven't met a trader that holds PHD. Maybe my world is too small :)

I concur. I think PhD for such a position is over-qualification and may even show to have some skills that are not recommended as a trader :)

On some other note, what kind of edge would you have over the market after having a PhD? What is your edge? What do you expect to learn at a PhD program that will make you a better trader than somebody else?

Nowadays, every firm looking for traders want a history of P&L. How do you plan to get one? If not, they want you to start at the bottom, so, why going through 5-7 years of PhD if you can start at the bottom now or get a MFE/MBA that lasts less time (if you think that will give you an edge)?

Back