• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

General Quant Education

babinu

XYZ
Hi Every one,

I have done my graduation in computer science and am currently employed as a software engineer in D.E.Shaw Hyderabad India.

I have active interest in math (especially in number theory) and had been selected among the top 50 in Math Olympiad in India in 2004.

I am considering the choice pursuing higher education in math and working as a quant. I have the following questions.

1. Which is better ... a Phd in math or computer science or a MS in Financial Engineering (provided by universities like Baruch ?) . From whatever I saw programs like MSFE look more focussed on getting a quant job.

Let me know if there are any particular links for this also ?

Thanks
Babinu

Where did you do your Comp Sci degree from? I would suggest you getting an MFE degree. You have good experience and that will suffice to get a decent quant position.

Hi Joy,

>>Where did you do your Comp Sci degree from? I would suggest you getting an MFE degree. You have good experience and that will suffice to get a decent quant position.

Thanks a lot for your prompt reply. I did my computer science from National Institute of Technology Calicut (which is a decent college in India if you haven't heard of it :)) and I have been working as a software engineer in D.E.Shaw for the past one and a half years.

Thanks
Babinu

Where did you do your Comp Sci degree from? I would suggest you getting an MFE degree. You have good experience and that will suffice to get a decent quant position.
Joy,

Doesn't it depend on which quant position ? as far as I know, if you want to be a research quant (is this how they are called ?), you need a PhD, don't you ?

Joy,

Doesn't it depend on which quant position ? as far as I know, if you want to be a research quant (is this how they are called ?), you need a PhD, don't you ?

Yes. That is a requirement for research related positions.

I am considering the choice pursuing higher education in math and working as a quant. I have the following questions.

1. Which is better ... a Phd in math or computer science or a MS in Financial Engineering (provided by universities like Baruch ?) . From whatever I saw programs like MSFE look more focussed on getting a quant job.
You obviously have an aptitude for math, just by the fact that you work for DE Shaw.

What do you envision a "quant" doing differently from what you are currently doing at DES?
Why don't you take a lunch break and talk to one of the quants working there in DES. If you are in their India office, email the ones in US. They should be able to tell you what kind of education you need to do what they do, provided that you know and like what they do.

Here is a link for your reading pleasure
How to Get a Quant Job - Advice from Wall Street Executives

>>What do you envision a "quant" doing differently from what you are currently doing at DES?

Currently I write parsers for data feeds that come from various exchanges like NYSE, ARCA, ISE etc.

According to my knowledge, a quant does a more mathematical job that is deciding the trading models and implementing the trading algorithms.

Since the quant job is more mathematical I prefer it.

Also one more thing

>>if you want to be a research quant (is this how they are called ?), you need a PhD, don't you ?

Joy/Roni/Andy,

I do not really understand the full differentiation between the quants , can you throw some light here . Also it would be good if you can give what is the recommended education for each of them as well.

As far as I know , this is it..

Entry level quant ----------------- MS in FE or so
Research quant ----------------- Phd (in which subject ?)

Thanks
Babinu

Back