• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Getting a job after quantnet c++ certificate

I'm currently a back office developer at an investment bank in New York, with about 3 years of full-time work experience. I don't have any experience with C++, would taking both of the quantnet courses help me transition to a quant dev or C++ dev job? I have some doubts because I don't see how I can convince people that even though I don't have professional experience with C++ I've learned the language through two online courses and that they should hire me.

Which C++ courses have you done?
I would start on QN C++
I did one on coursera. Planning to do C++ Programming for Financial Engineering followed by Advanced C++ and Modern Design. I have no doubt about the quality of the content. My question is more about how to leverage the courses to find a new job, since I won't be applying for entry level jobs and will still not have any professional experience with C++. Any suggestions on how to overcome this? Or is it not a big concern.

I will just apply with the certificate credential resume and try to show my knowledge of development and of C++ as best as possible.

I have been training and coaching students and industry quants for some time now. I think "bridging the gap" between finance and C++ is a good way to show that you are able and interested. The QN courses includes projects to get you started.

My advice: take a well known (not too big) problem and rerproduce the results based on reference articles.
I have posted a bunch of MSc theses that I supervised on LinkedIn.

What kinds of derivatives do you come in contact with? I suppose iimpressing colleagues is not a bad thing.

Here's one readable example of a MSc thesis. It shows student has learned and applied her knowledge.

Attachments

• thesis.pdf
    274.3 KB · Views: 89
  • Dissertation_1103553.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 40
Here are some articles on C++ applied to option pricing, Might be useful.

BTW, just out of curiosity, do you have the list of topics in the C++ Coursera course?

BTW, just out of curiosity, do you have the list of topics in the C++ Coursera course?
Planning a third C++ course? I’d actually be quite happy if you, Andy, and Avi did. I am planning to take the advanced course starting in two months and it’d be good to roll straight into another C++ course right after.

Your first course actually helped get me a job as an algo developer at a trading firm in New York and I plan to use the advanced course and any future course you create to launch phase two of my master plan.

Last edited:
Object-Oriented Data Structures in C++
  • Orientation; Writing a C++ Program

• Understanding the C++ Memory Model
  • Developing C++ Classes
    Engineering C++ Software Solutions
  • Linear Structures
  • Tree Structures
  • Advanced Structures
  • Heap Structures
  • Hashing
  • Disjoint sets
  • Graph Data Structures
  • Graph Algorithms

It is actually 3 mini courses, basically using C++ to teach basic Computer Science.

I have been training and coaching students and industry quants for some time now. I think "bridging the gap" between finance and C++ is a good way to show that you are able and interested. The QN courses includes projects to get you started.

My advice: take a well known (not too big) problem and rerproduce the results based on reference articles.
I have posted a bunch of MSc theses that I supervised on LinkedIn.

What kinds of derivatives do you come in contact with? I suppose iimpressing colleagues is not a bad thing.
I don't come in contact with derivatives at the moment, the group works on macro forecasts and risk. But I agree, building derivatives pricing programs with C++ would be a good thing to work on. I will do the two courses from quantnet first and then pick a project to work on.

Daniel, are you suggesting to write a thesis like the example you attached? I suppose you mean without going back to school officially, is that correct?

Thank you for the advice, I really appreciate it.

Back