• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

GRE preperation

Is it worth spending 7k on elite tutoring from manhattan GRE courses,tutoring and magoosh prep? I never did well on the SAT but I have tons of cash to spare since I have virtually have no debt as of right now and will graduate with no debt. Worth it not?

Last edited:
54 percentile in what? You should get as high a score as possible in the Quantitative section and a decent score in Verbal/Writing.

54 percentile in what? You should get as high a score as possible in the Quantitative section and a decent score in Verbal/Writing.
@jetpotion You can look on the tracker to see what kinds of scores you need.
I dont care what the score requirement/anything. I have made the mistake in the past by using a cutoff score.I wont make the same mistake,I would improve until the last minute of the last minute of the GRE. The real question is whether spending 7k on GRE prep is worth it?

I dont care what the score requirement/anything. I have made the mistake in the past by using a cutoff score.I wont make the same mistake,I would improve until the last minute of the last minute of the GRE. The real question is whether spending 7k on GRE prep is worth it?

It's only worth it if you truly think you cannot get the score you need without tutoring/coaching. Otherwise, it is a waste of money.

7k is a ton of money. Don't do it. If the GREs don't seem manageable to you, then know that you'll be down struggle street for the MFE program. Buy a range of exercise books, including the books written by ETS (they tell you everything possible that can be on the GREs since they write it). Getting a range of textbooks is important because the style and difficulty of questions will differ between them. I think there are also free online GRE exercises... would be worth searching.

To have a chance of getting into a good program, my understanding is that the scores you need are:

Q - 165+
V - 155+ (If English isn't your native language. If it is, the required score is probably lower or even negligible)
AWA - 3.5+ (Same idea as the V score)

Hope this helps.

J

Back