• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

GRE revised General Test - August 2011

dstefan

Baruch MFE Director
A new version of the GRE general test will be offered beginning in August 2011.

One of the most significant changes is the new score scale for the Verbal Reasoning and Quantitative Reasoning measures:
• Verbal Reasoning and Quantitative Reasoning scores will be reported on a new scale of 130 – 170, instead of the current scale of 200 – 800.
• Scores will be reported in 1-point increments, versus the current 10-point increments.
• The score scale is moving to a 41-point scale from the current 61-point scale.

More information will be posted at
GRE revised General Test

Calculators...

That's an interesting addition. Maybe it is expected that the calculations that will be incurred in the new test will be at a higher level?

New types of questions, including some that feature real-life scenarios reflecting the kind of thinking you'll do in graduate school

I am curious to see the new 'real-life' questions. I wonder how that would work for the different fields that GRE is used for.

Interesting overall nonetheless. I wonder what their reasoning behind the big change is.

I think it's funny that ETS revises GRE actually to make it harder for test takers.

It's just my opinion, but I feel current test format is actually easier than their revised format.

The new test is supposed to better differentiate among the top scorers. How the nature of the questions will change remains to be seen.

The new test is supposed to better differentiate among the top scorers. How the nature of the questions will change remains to be seen.

They have sample questions in their websites. And if you took GRE in last year, you actually will be asked to write an experimental section consisting of questions in new format. There would be no penalty if you get them wrong or leave them blank for the experimental questions. I took a GRE exam last year with experimental questions. And I felt, although you can go back and forth to change your answers, the new formats unnecessarily complicate the question (thus making it harder).

Back