• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

GRE Test. Tips?

Which of the following could be an area of an isosceles triangle if the perimeter is 18 and one side is 8?

a) 6
b) 12
c) 14
d) 16
e) 18

OK, sounds easy enough. Perimeter = a + b+ 8 = 18 thus other two sides must equal 10 as its an isosceles.

8+2 =
5+5 =

Should be the only ones that work to give two equal sides (isosceles). But none work.

This book is crap!

The two equal sides are 5 units each... the base is 8 units... thus the height is 3 units... hence the area is 0.5*(base)*height = 0.5*8*3 = 12 sq. units.

Also again, would you recommend Khan Academy? My test is in two days.

I am not that much familiar with Khan academy... but you can give it a try... I do not understand why you are taking the test so soon... why are you not taking it later, giving yourself more time to prepare? Are you applying somewhere within the next month or so?

No definitely the right equation. The answer I got, which was correct after checking it was E. Because it took me longer then average to figure it out, I though their might be a trick I'm missing!

Sorry to interrupt...but that thing is not an equation, it's an expression...don't neglect the GRE verbal now ;)

heres one...how many three digits numbers greater than 700 are there, whose two digits are the same and the 3rd digit is different than the other two?

The two equal sides are 5 units each... the base is 8 units... thus the height is 3 units... hence the area is 0.5*(base)*height = 0.5*8*3 = 12 sq. units.

Exactly what I got. But the book gave the answer as C) 14. I'm guessing it was a misprint but you can see why the book is exasperating.

I am not that much familiar with Khan academy... but you can give it a try... I do not understand why you are taking the test so soon... why are you not taking it later, giving yourself more time to prepare? Are you applying somewhere within the next month or so?

No, I just feel I'm i9n a good revision groove and the luxury of time is not something that has been good to me!

Sorry to interrupt...but that thing is not an equation, it's an expression...don't neglect the GRE verbal now ;)

Verbal is my strong point. Got a 770 in my first test last week. I think I can easily score a 700. Anything above is a bonus.

Thanks a lot for all your help guys. Got a 780Q and 760V.

Very happy with my results but still a little concerned that I may be falling behind other candidates with 800Q. I have a very solid GPA from a top engineering program in the UK, good work experience (interned at BarCap, Citi, and Credit Agricole), extracurriculars.

Looking at programs like Michigan, Berkeley Haas and Columbia. Thoughts on chances?

Feel free to criticise my choices if you feel I may be better suited somewhere else.

Thanks again. I owe you guys big.

@KadeerQ
wow! that's some score.
760 on Verbal.That's insane.Just be clear on your application that you are applying for MFE program not some English literature.:p
Felicidades :)

Thanks a lot for all your help guys. Got a 780Q and 760V.

Very happy with my results but still a little concerned that I may be falling behind other candidates with 800Q. I have a very solid GPA from a top engineering program in the UK, good work experience (interned at BarCap, Citi, and Credit Agricole), extracurriculars.

Looking at programs like Michigan, Berkeley Haas and Columbia. Thoughts on chances?

Feel free to criticise my choices if you feel I may be better suited somewhere else.

Thanks again. I owe you guys big.

Congrats! :) and yaa... V is a decline! :P God... your English is crazy!

How much does the verbal section weigh on the final result, particularly when applying for a PhD. or a master's in quantitative finance? I will be taking the GRE on late july, and I've already read a couple of books and done tons of math exercises, but the verbal section worries me due to the complexity of the vocabulary and the rather dense reading comprehension passages. Given that I'm a foreign student (latino), I must present the TOEFL, which I'm kind of confident about (I presented the IELTS without preparation and got a 7.5/9 and I've heard it's tougher than the TOEFL). Will getting a good TOEFL compensate for average verbal behavior in the GRE?

newoldgre610.png

Here's another one:

Tanks X and Y are filled to capacity with
fucl. Tank X holds 600 gallons more than Tank Y.
If 100 gallons of fuel are to be pumped into each
tank, tank X would then contain 3 times as much
fuel as tank y. What is the total number of gallons
of fuel in thc two full tanks?

OK the answer I got is B)1200.

x holds 600 more = 800 if y holds 200

add 100 to each 900 + 300 = 1200. Right?

BUT, checking the answer is A)1400

Number crunching, I cant figure out an equation which holds 600 more and 3 times after adding 100 to equal 1400.

Even if I missed something, both answers would be right.

Questions like this one piss me off because you easily figure it out and then find it was wrong. Doubts creep in for the rest of the questions

Answer: Tank X= 900, Tank Y= 300

X = Y + 600
X + 100 = 3Y + 100 --> It said 100 gallons was pumped into EACH tank, which makes Tank X 3 times more than Tank Y.

Then I just solve for Tank Y since we have a X variable isolated already. Just plug in one equation into the other as follows.

(Y + 600) + 100 = 3Y + 100
Y + 700 = 3Y +100
-2Y = -600
Y = 300

Then solve for X in one of the original equations.

X = (300) + 600
X = 900

I'm taking the GRE on July 21st (before the new one). My Powerprep scores were 800Q and 440V.
My vocabulary sucks and it caused me to rush through the reading comprehension questions. What is the best way to optimize my time to improve my verbal score? Books, websites...what to study would be helpful.
My goal on the test is currently 800/550/5. Is that realistic?

I'm taking the GRE on July 21st (before the new one). My Powerprep scores were 800Q and 440V.
My vocabulary sucks and it caused me to rush through the reading comprehension questions. What is the best way to optimize my time to improve my verbal score? Books, websites...what to study would be helpful.
My goal on the test is currently 800/550/5. Is that realistic?

Try going over the BARRONS word list and doing practice questions from POWERPREP and BARRONS. That should definitely help you to improve your score.

Thanks
Babinu

For the writing, should I make up historical/current events if I can't think of any or will test scorers fact check my supporting evidence? For example, if I wrote "When Michael Smith invented the first microwave" even though I have no clue who invented the microwave.

Back