• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Happy Independence Day!

Well put, Your consistent and goal-oriented replies are something to be proud of. The poster feels accomodated and the viewer takes away valuable instruction. Bravo :tiphat:

This must be the darkest day on the calendar for BigBadWolf ;)

This must be the darkest day on the calendar for BigBadWolf ;)

It was better under the Brits. *Sigh* -- those were the days. Were it not for the war with the French from 1756 to 1763 ("The First World War"), the Brits might not have needed to tax the colonies and history might have been very different -- we can but speculate.

When I'm in the USA, I don't like the fireworks -- I can't get to sleep before midnight.

It was better under the Brits. *Sigh* -- those were the days. Were it not for the war with the French from 1756 to 1763 ("The First World War"), the Brits might not have needed to tax the colonies and history might have been very different -- we can but speculate.

I'm all for blaming the French, but always follow the golden rule-- when in doubt, blame Canada.

How does being in the land of the midnight sun help your early-to-bed habits? I see the Bergen, Norway currently has dusk at 12:39 AM and dawn at 2:44 AM. Contrary to woody's remark, it is one of the brightest days, physically speaking.

Bergen, Norway - Sunrise, sunset, dawn and dusk times for the whole year - Gaisma

Hehe, I love the place. Here in Oslo, we don't get the midnight sun but it's still not completely dark at midnight. It's light at 3:00 am, and the light at 11:00pm is easily enough to ready by. Of course the downside is it's the other way around in winter. Up north, the sun doesn't rise above the horizon between the end of November and the end of January, and here in Oslo the sun rises after 9:00 am and sets at about 3:00 pm. The problem is I can't use all the extra daylight, whereas the absence of it is felt most keenly during winter.

With regard to temperature, we had an unusually hot spell for about 10 days (daytime temperatures of above 90F, which is sizzling here), which ended two days ago and daytime temperatures are now down to the mid '60s -- people are wearing sweaters or light jackets. There's a local song that winter is long but not forever ("vinteren er lang men ikke evig") -- which I guess sums it up.

FWIW, I spent my July 4 on a canoe and camping in the St Regis Canoe Wilderness Area in the Adirondacks, NY. Sorry, I didn't take any pictures. It was raining, windy, and cold the entire time.

Yay America!

Back