• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Hard career choice (anyone heard of WorldQuant?)

Worldquant is pretty solid place. One of my friends is about to start as a portfolio manager there soon at their Old Greenwich location. They are looking for like 10-15 people right now.

It's hard generally to get buy side experience as in (1), so I think on balance if your goal is to be a quant trader, Worldquant is the obvious choice, the caveat being that you must be ok with working in Asia. (3) and (4) don't look like attractive options for what you want to do. (2) might be ok, but generally quants at BB work on pricing (exotics, structured deals etc), so unless you want to trade these products at the buy-side later, it doesn't seem to align very well.

But to start as a portfolio manager I would assume that they require some industry experience, is this correct?
Since I don't have any experience (not even internships), I can only apply for entry-level roles.

Yes, he has 10+ years on the street algo trading for BB's and a PhD from MIT.

Research is considered Front Office.
It's possible to work in quant trading straight out of college, although I'm sure they have to do a lot of bitch work before they're actually given PNL and allowed to trade.

Hi newbatresearch, I have an interview coming up for one of the new asian divisions, can you tell me a little of what to expect?

Is it possible to find quant trading positions straight out of college, or do most people start off at more "grunt-work" roles before moving onto trading once they have proven themselves.
I'm afraid I've got some bad, bad news for you - it's 29 years later and I STILL do grunt work.
Even my boss, one of the most senior guys in my firm, just asked me to send him a file with 10,000 lines of data so he could work on it.

Hi NewbAtResearch,
I have an interview with Wq.Could you please give me some pointers on what kind of questions to expect?

I dont think they are hiring now and the reason I think so is the senior management is not sure of the expansion plan and they seem to be very much in chaos.
Generally interviews are conducted only when there is a clean visibility of expansion and so to hiring but it seems @worldquants this is not the case . I put an entire month where there were several rounds of written/telephonic/10hrs face to face interviews were conducted and as per job consultant the position is on freeze now.
Also the hiring team do not update the candidates, it was always the case with me that after weeks time I had to ask the outcome of previous round.

Back