• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Has anyone heard from Georgia Tech QCF (fall 2011 applicants)?

Hi All,

Has anyone heard from Georgia Tech QCF this year ( Fall 2011 applicants). Georgia Tech QCF has been added only recently to the tracker and I could only see a few listings.

Thanks,
Nikhil

Just remember from GaTech nobody is gonna give you job of wall street...specially if you have worked at TCS, Infosys and all other outsourced junk or if you have studied at some gaza raja college

@lonely
No offence..
my only question to the forum was whether anyone has heard from GaTech.. I dint ask for a review..
btw.. I am not working at any of those companies you mentioned and am from a prestigious college in India and I am proud of it..

Just remember from GaTech nobody is gonna give you job of wall street...specially if you have worked at TCS, Infosys and all other outsourced junk or if you have studied at some gaza raja college

not sure for last year but for 2009 at least 3 of the international students got job at GS JPM and CITI on wall street

IT or back office job for sure...and those 3 student might be very good anyways..graduate of some top rated university from their respective countries...like some smart kid from IIT who had some good friend working in GS, take those exception out and tell me who got in wall street based on Ga Tech degree. I have friend who work at BB not the best job but he got there anyways after jumping through jobs...and that too because he had undergrad from best school and not because of GaTech

IT or back office job for sure...and those 3 student might be very good anyways..graduate of some top rated university from their respective countries...like some smart kid from IIT who had some good friend working in GS, take those exception out and tell me who got in wall street based on Ga Tech degree. I have friend who work at BB not the best job but he got there anyways after jumping through jobs...and that too because he had undergrad from best school and not because of GaTech

Agree. u got job because u r outstanding not because of Gatech. Same for CMU, Prin and Columbia. Difference is these schools admit better students or more great students.

The same can be said for any kid from any MFE program. Once you make it to an interview, it's up to you to close the deal. If you fail the interview but attend the best MFE program in the country, the interviewer isn't going to cut you any slack.

@jarical & @anton

that's not true. Thats not what I meant. What I was trying to say that if you are from Gatech then you may be get good job because you are smart & also have good connection. But being from Princeton , CMU etc then school also helps you a great deal you can get good job because you are smart as well as your school helped you get good interview. There is no way top PE/I Banks will go to tier2 school for their grad program hiring, they go to best school and try picking up good candidate. Please leave those stories aside..that if you are good/ hard working etc etc then you will make it in life. That's not the way real world works.

Lonely - You are laughably incorrect. This idea that the top schools are far and beyond above the rest regarding education is just wrong. The difference is really in networking and resources. If you are outgoing at any good school, you'll be fine; if not, you'll have trouble regardless of what name brand school you are at. I went to undergraduate at Georgia Tech, I went to Citadel immediately afterwards, I've received offers from the top FE programs and hedge funds. What have you done? What research have you performed and where have you worked? You get yourself the jobs, not your school. Last year Georgia Tech sent 3 students from this program to Citadel from a small class, and many more to the Chicago-based trading houses (think Spot Trading and the like), banks, and hedge funds. As a great example of how laughably incorrect you are, seeing as you mention PE/IB type stuff, one of the schools most represented at HBS is Georgia Tech? Why? Because the school creates students, both in grad and undergrad, that know to look at facts before they speak.

Before you go out and insult a school and its students, do your research.

------------------------------

Nikhil - To answer your questions, yes, I just heard from them on Tuesday, I believe. I received a significant ~70% decrease in my tuition (I'm out-of-state now) and a graduate research assistantship. So, net net, the whole tuition will only be about $6k. Not bad bang for the buck at all. I've visited the program before, sat in on classes, and spoken with the program directors and professors. I think it's quite a good program, but in some ways in its infancy. It's part of the best industrial engineering program in the US, so the math/financial engineering portion is quite good, but I think the weakness might be in the economics/business portion of the education. That said, they seem to be really focused on growing the program and making it better. When I spoke with them around Thanksgiving 2009 they were about to do a "program audit" with members from Morgan Stanley and a few other hedge funds/banks of whom I was never given the names. The whole idea was that these industry professionals do a deep review of all nuances of the program and recommend what they can change. The only thing that turned me off was that there is no person dedicated to recruitment for the program. Is that a reason to reject it? Probably not, but I suppose it depends on your attitude towards this. I also got into Princeton and the Georgia Tech offer is still quite appealing.

MichaelKraus...I am running bit late..but GATech is top school for engineering I never said Georgia Tech is not top school, but its qcf program is just a waste of time & money , they admit students mostly from Chinese & Indian low ranked schools..and nobody is gonna hire them(I said most of them).

Plus being undergrad from top school matters the most to hedge funds & capital markets divisions of I-Banks.
Plus my assertions stands correct, Look at P/E and M&A recruits they pick guys from Harvard, Yale, Princeton for their undergrad programs they wont go to Gatech as its top engineering school

I too have worked at Merrill (hired through grad program and then SAC), I have most of my friends working in similar capacities and agrees with this. You seem to pick one example and trying to disprove what I just said. I am not giving theorem here but statistics.

Lonely - I am really curious where you are getting this information? This is not my understanding at all and I feel like I know the program pretty well.

Thanks Andy. Re-doing gre now too late..I have full time job and applying for fall 2011 programs. I got reject from baruch today (without interview call). I am going now down the rank in program like Gatech, Boston Univ, Purdue. I have some good contacts in NYC which hopefully would help in getting job. So my goal is to get in mfe program atleast univ name should be decent even if their program is low ranked. For job I can go through networking and contacts, so I am reasonably confident about job prospect but main goal is getting admission. My contacts are unable to get me hire directly from here as they said very tough to justify their hr etc. given the scene in post crisis- world now.

Also in toefl writing I have 26/30, not sure if that can somewhat help my gre aw 2.5

I think it would be good that we have this disclosure of interests upfront. Not that I am saying that you have expressed any different opinion there.

@Nikhil: You should probably hear within a week or two, I had heard back during the same time last year.

@lonely: few years ago a friend of mine from IIT-B had said to me "Arrogance has to be achieved", a few years later, after becoming wiser, he corrected his mistake with "Arrogance has to be achieved, but failure will make you humble."
Look at you, Now you are applying to same so called "tier-2" schools that you were belittling all along. To be frank, some of the points that you raised were true, but some of us had dropped after getting "ADMITTED" your so called "tier-1" schools like Baruch,UIUC,Columbia,Cornell, UMICH to join Gatech, not because we are stupid, but because Gatech has its own advantages! - and for the record Most of these schools do not admit based on Flashy resume's but based on "Statement of Purpose" (what do you hope to achieve in life and how this program will help you get there) - going through your profile, there seems to be no reason for any school to admit you because you already claim to know more than the programs can offer -probably you screwed it up because of your pompous attitude!

Oh Btw Mr.Smart IIT-D, do you realize, that because of your arrogance(misplaced pride, whatever) you have given out enough information on this forum to actually pin point your Name by doing a google search, wonder how many admission committees of the insti's you have belittled notice it!

Anyway Peace Bro!

@loco....

I applied to Gatech....just in case one scenario materialized....plus I have drawn line in sand, that even in that scenario I will only consider if GA tech will give me full scholl....let me tell you something about those some..who dropped columbia and joined gatech...they will regret(99%)...I know 3 guys very well who graduated from Gatech......between once you try finding job on wall street with your so called Gatech degree, you will realize very soon what an arrogant pompous guy was talking about

Back