• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

HeadHunters in current environment

I have been receiving numerous calls from Head-Hunters the last few weeks, its almost annoying and they all are offering a very similar position; high-frequency trading across asset classes with some prop desk or hedge fund. If you look on bloomberg jobs its almost SPAM with the different HH's propositioning almost the exact same jobs- are these firms actually hiring or are these just phishing for resumes.

In the past I've had some good & bad experiences with HH's but recently it seems they are promising openings that simply don't exist....

It's an interesting point that how those headhunters got your number?
I got called once or twice but majority of the time, I know how they got my contact info and I'm expecting their calls.
As for the high-freq job ads, it's mostly bogus. They will advertise the hottest field at the moment but we all know there aren't that many jobs out there.

I got calls on my cell the passed two weeks from different headhunters, all claiming they have risk management opennings in "prestigeous" firms & banks----almost everyday. One of whom left called around 8:30am every morning 4 days in a row! I've removed my resume from the jobhunting websites ever since May last year and didn't update/post anything.

But this week they are quiet down. I was wondering where did they get my info.

Yes, same response. It really reflects poorly on the recruiting industry (not that I expect them to be angels) but now it leaves me with the difficult task of trying to decipher if a specific headhunter actually has a reasonable chance of offering a position. I have been asking them recently if the position is a retained search or contingency search.

Does anybody actually do retained searches? We're all about instant gratification, or lack thereof, here in Chicago. I think. You guys might as well move out now before the Greenland ice sheet flows over Battery Park and keeps on comin'.

Back