• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Hedge Out S&P 500 Correlation

I'm trying to get exposure to just the NCREIF Timber Index, but the problem is that both of the ETFs are very highly correlated to the S&P 500 and not the Timber Index. So, I looked up all the stocks in the two ETFs designed to track the Timber Index- CUT and WOOD. I then decided to do a regression of those stocks against the Timber Index and the S&P 500. Some of those stocks have a pretty high correlation to the Timber Index and when you throw in the S&P 500, the adjusted R squared goes up to around 80%.

My question is, is there a way to hedge out the S&P 500 correlation? Could I buy quarterly put options on the S&P 500 to hedge out market exposure and get a higher correlation to the Timber Index? How would I backtest this strategy?

buy whatever it is you want to buy, and sell S&P 500 futures. The ratio you would have to get via backtest (i.e. a regression).

Wouldn't you just be capturing a random variable at that point? If the same underlying information (good economy) results in a big S&P 500 movement and a slightly higher/lower movement for Timber, the only thing you'd hedge away is the S&P gain. Theoretically, if there's a high correlation between the indices, hedging one against the other is just like taking a smaller position in Timber.

That would be the case for the ETFs, but some of the stocks in the index have a much higher correlation to the timber index, which is itself not correlated to the S&P. And I'm hoping that hedging out the S&P 500 variability improves the correlation between the individual stock and the timber index.

The thing is that there is inevitably a correlation with the S&P since they both reflect a view on future of the economy.

Back