• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Help Me Choose Where To Go For Undergrad

Focus on getting to know your professors, explore your options by taking part in research and internships.

And I second this advice, regardless of where you go. So many people enter undergrad thinking only about what to study and downplay the crucial role of developing and maintaining good relationships with professors. Not only is this an end in itself, it is also very important when the time comes to ask for recommendations for grad school or work. When you get there you do not want to be in the position of a beggar, asking uncomfortably if a professor whose class you got an A in but haven't talked to much will write you a good reco. What you want is to develop good personal relationships with them so that they *want* to write glowing LORs for you.

Bad news everyone. I was officially accepted into Carnegie Mellon's math and business programs. So now I actually have to decide D:

It seems to be a tossup between Carnegie Mellon and Maryland... I think Baruch isn't worth it (for UGrad)
What to choose, what to choose.........

Have you visited the campuses? Sounds like you should be able to at least visit Maryland.

Try just browsing the websites of the universities and departments you are interested in. You would be surprised the kind of "feel" you can get for a university by what they say on their website and how they say it.

I think you'll find that generally CMU is higher ranked than Maryland, but graduating with no to little debt is a nice thing. Plus Maryland is still a very good school, and going there wouldn't limit you for graduate opportunities.

I've vistited Maryland quite a few times, and didn't like the feel at all. That was a major factor why I didn't just choose the cheaper option. As for CMU, I loved it - both the school and the city (I cannot say the same for College Park, which is basically a ghetto.)

Just got financial Aid from CMU today. Don't know why they have a bad rap for financial aid - they gave me not 10k (like I expected) but 20k! It's pretty much set in stone. I'm going to CMU :)

college park is a ghetto? news to me and i've lived here for five years.

every college town is as unsafe or safe as you make it.

I'm not saying it's (overly) dangerous, I'm just saying that's the vibe I get.

Happy - Support
Illini - Initially not supportive of CMU, but with this new finaid offer, supportive.
TraderJoe - Sort of ambivalent

Good internet stalking skills Andy ;) (jk)

Also, I never said that UMD is dangerous. It isn't, especially not during the day. I just don't like the feel of the campus (not because of safety). For lack of a better word, it's gloomy for me.

heh, I assure you its anything but gloomy but lol.

and your pic doesnt work. but have fun at cmu - definitely a great school

edit: ah your pic works. hahaha oh man, way to find a picture of a place in early early morning. i was at bagel place just now for a late lunch, most definitely not gloomy lol. the thing about college park is, we're a hop away from DC, a drive away from Baltimore, and not that far from Annapolis. Not sure what other school would give you opportunities like that ;)

I've visited CP 3 times as a prospective student and even more times for competitions and I never liked the surrounding area.
The campus itself is ok albeit rather dirty.

Not gonna lie though - CP has great academics and of course is cheap which is what prompted me to apply in the first place :)

And I've been going here full-time for 5 years. The competitions get put into the crappy buildings and I'm not sure what you mean by dirty. Some of the buildings are old, anything you'd deal with though is modernized.

But to each their own :)

And I've been going here full-time for 5 years. The competitions get put into the crappy buildings and I'm not sure what you mean by dirty. Some of the buildings are old, anything you'd deal with though is modernized.

But to each their own :)

True. Thanks for all your help though through the UMD process :)

... as opposed to... Pittsburgh?!? lol

???

Congrats Euroazn!

Pittsburgh is a great city and Oakland/Shadyside/Squirrel Hill has a great college vibe. There are great restaurants, coffee shops and bars all within walking distance of campus (which is quite safe). It can get a little sketchy in the outskirts but it is unlikely that you will find yourself out that way.

The free transit (with valid student ID) is a nice perk too!

Tho, I suggest yinz Pittsburghese prolly needs brushed up before you arrive ;)

Hi Andy! Long time no speak.

Euroazn was originally looking at potentially $50K/year in tuition and expenses over 4 years vs. about $20K at Maryland. That's a $120K difference- at 7% interest like some have been paying, the interest alone works out to $700/month. I'm a conservative guy, and that's way too much debt for my tastes.

With a $10K/year difference, OP is looking at $40K in debt when he graduates. If he saves and thrifts like crazy, he can probably get that paid off in two years regardless of where he lands. And I think CMU is worth a $40K difference. I noted on the other site that I had to make a similar decision between $160K for CMU and $60K for Illinois and am pretty sure that's the right choice for folks in that situation who need to borrow for college, but $80K for Maryland vs. 120K for CMU really narrows the gap and doesn't have the OP graduating with a staggering debt burden.

CMU has an excellent CS program. If he goes there, it would be a travesty for him to pass up a few courses in data structures, algorithms, and machine learning- especially if he wants to be a quant.

Hi Andy! Long time no speak.

Euroazn was originally looking at potentially $50K/year in tuition and expenses over 4 years vs. about $20K at Maryland. That's a $120K difference- at 7% interest like some have been paying, the interest alone works out to $700/month. I'm a conservative guy, and that's way too much debt for my tastes.

With a $10K/year difference, OP is looking at $40K in debt when he graduates. If he saves and thrifts like crazy, he can probably get that paid off in two years regardless of where he lands. And I think CMU is worth a $40K difference. I noted on the other site that I had to make a similar decision between $160K for CMU and $60K for Illinois and am pretty sure that's the right choice for folks in that situation who need to borrow for college, but $80K for Maryland vs. 120K for CMU really narrows the gap and doesn't have the OP graduating with a staggering debt burden.

CMU has an excellent CS program. If he goes there, it would be a travesty for him to pass up a few courses in data structures, algorithms, and machine learning- especially if he wants to be a quant.

Ok two years might be a bit too ridiculous lol...................... I don't want to literally live in a cardboard box while eating street rats... NYC Cost of living is high.........

Ok two years might be a bit too ridiculous lol...................... I don't want to literally live in a cardboard box while eating street rats... NYC Cost of living is high.........

I think a $40K debt paydown is easily doable in two years; perhaps as little as 18 months if the markets are OK.

Back