• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Hooked on Gadgets, and Paying a Mental Price

This article describes me. And probably you. And most people who are reading this.

Your Brain on Computers - Attached to Technology and Paying a Price - NYTimes.com

Scientists say juggling e-mail, phone calls and other incoming information can change how people think and behave. They say our ability to focus is being undermined by bursts of information.

These play to a primitive impulse to respond to immediate opportunities and threats. The stimulation provokes excitement — a dopamine squirt — that researchers say can be addictive. In its absence, people feel bored.

I scored 100% on that distraction test yet... I'm still paranoid.

The distraction test was weird, it fills up your whole screen. So technically even if you are a multi-tasker it's easy to concentrate on it.

I think that particular family is a bit on the extreme side. I doubt that most people go quite that overboard with technology.

100% and a 92%...I flew through it pretty quickly tho.

Still not sure if that's a good thing or not. It says I can filter out irrelevant information very well...something my girlfriend could attest to. :)

Back