• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

How difficult is it to explain why mathematical finance relates to physics for visa app?

I'm a graduate student in physics getting my PhD in 2.5 months or so from a US institution.

I've received an offer (at associate level) from a major US firm (the position is in NYC) and they are completely aware of my visa status (F-1)

I think they would rather have me go through OPT than go to the bother of H1-B to start

This means that I have to craft a cover letter which explains to an immigration officer with no knowledge of either physics or finance how my physics PhD relates to finance. Now, obviously anybody with experience in mathematical finance is well aware of the relationship between the two.

Does anybody here have experience with this process? I need to complete the application for OPT ASAP, because there is up to a 3 month turnaround time on OPT apps.

I know there are still H1-B numbers left for the year due to the terrible economic situation; should I just pressure the company to put in an app for one? How long does this application take?

The experience you gain modeling physical systems translates indirectly into modeling financial systems. In both cases, you are applying analytical skills to try and create a model of an otherwise intractably complex process in order to express observations and make inferences about the process so that you can make an informed decision which will enrich you and the society around you.

If that sounds like a mouthful, this is a skill I learned in a software systems design class. How to bullsh!t like a maniac.

Well, I was also going to provide specific examples of what skills I used in my research that are also used in financial modeling (certain numerical and analytic methods; I'm sure you can make a long list of those in your mind, if you any knowledge of the two subjects and how they overlap)

Have you gone through this process yourself? Do you know others who have?

This whole thing is very nerve-wracking. I've just put myself through a very stressful interview (+preparation) process, I still have to finish my thesis and now I have to worry that some anonymous immigration official will arbitrarily decide to kick me out of the country because he doesn't understand my explanation, or even because he's reacting the same way a lot of the public is (generally unreasoning anger at "Wall Street").

It's almost enough to make me want to just give up on the US and take my income tax payments to London.

I think you need to go through this process through a lawyer. Talk to your univ's international student affairs office, they can direct you to one. Immigration lawyers handle these cases on a daily basis with 100% success rate. I am an international(indian) student and I intend to go that route....next year when I graduate in May.

Well, I was also going to provide specific examples of what skills I used in my research that are also used in financial modeling (certain numerical and analytic methods; I'm sure you can make a long list of those in your mind, if you any knowledge of the two subjects and how they overlap)

Have you gone through this process yourself? Do you know others who have?

This whole thing is very nerve-wracking. I've just put myself through a very stressful interview (+preparation) process, I still have to finish my thesis and now I have to worry that some anonymous immigration official will arbitrarily decide to kick me out of the country because he doesn't understand my explanation, or even because he's reacting the same way a lot of the public is (generally unreasoning anger at "Wall Street").

It's almost enough to make me want to just give up on the US and take my income tax payments to London.

FYI the H1-B processing time is very fast, via the latest WSJ article (link below). I know I lot of submissions have come in since then but it's still a relatively quick turnaround time. So if you can convice them to do it, go for it. However, that just puts the burden of proving your qualifications on the role to them, which is why they likely prefer OPT. Then it's your problem.

Slump Sinks H1-B Visa Program - QuantNetwork - Financial Engineering Forum

I agree if the position is worth it to you, a good lawyer well versed in OPT is likely your best bet, I mean really how much insight can you get from an internet forum. best of luck.

I am talking about the cover letter for OPT application. As I understand the process, I need to send a letter with my application describing the type of work I will seek (well, since I already have an offer, I no longer have to seek it, of course). The work needs to be "directly related" to my degree.

I see. I wouldn't worry to much over this as the Int'l Student Coordinator's job is to facility your transition to the next step. The fact that you have a job offer indicates the relevance of your physics degree to the work. I doubt they would understand the technicalities of what you are about to write so don't spend too much time on it.
Make it simple and use a couple of buzz words. Do you really use any of the physics degree to perform the work or you are trying to make it up since the job has nothing to do with your degree?
If the former case, I would say something like "apply techniques from theoretical and statistical physics to the complex dynamics of stocks, shares, interest rates and complex financial products known as derivatives. The job would involve solving stochastic calculus which derives from the heat diffusion equation blah blah"

See Visions 4 - Physics and finance

Well, there's the standard connections between diffusion equations etc.

Then, there are the numerical techniques I actually used in my research which are used in derivatives pricing.
By the way, I'm not trying to BS. The only people working in the group are physics & math PhDs

You can also touch base with HR at the firm that hired you. If they're nice, they can prepare a couple paragraphs for you...

Well, there's the standard connections between diffusion equations etc.

Then, there are the numerical techniques I actually used in my research which are used in derivatives pricing.
By the way, I'm not trying to BS. The only people working in the group are physics & math PhDs

I am talking about the cover letter for OPT application. As I understand the process, I need to send a letter with my application describing the type of work I will seek (well, since I already have an offer, I no longer have to seek it, of course). The work needs to be "directly related" to my degree.
Is it difficult to get OPT? I have seen many H1Bs from India working in IT (in Finance) but they have various degrees like Civil Engineering, Biology, Chemistry. If it is easy to get H1B then you better apply for H1B.

I really think you should talk to your employer and have them sponsored the H1B for you. Since the limit hasn't been met this year, it should be pretty easy. my employer wanted to put me on a 1 year OPT too and apply next year because I didn't have my degree by the first of April but I kinda push them a little. I apply late this year, around June, and got my H1B this September through standard application... It's just too hard to waste a chance like this.
Best of luck~

Back