• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

MIT MFin How do I shore up weaknesses in my profile?

Hi all,

I'm currently an undergrad in my final year (University of London) and on track for a First Class Honors grade in Banking and Finance. Due to the way my course was structured and my aimlessness during the first 2 years of university, I only have the basic modules in Math/Stats. Didn't do great in them as well. Furthermore my grades then were pretty dismal until I found my own motivation. Thank God it's now exponentially better! Also since it's my final year I can't take any more math mods to show that I can do the quant stuff.

I do however have an A in Econometrics and after this year probably an A as well in both Quantitative Finance and Investment Management. Both my professors in QF and Econometrics are also willing to provide me the necessary recommendation letters. What I want to ask is does all this send a strong enough signal of my quant side for me to get into a top tier MFin program? I was setting my eyes on MIT MFin, though it seems like a lofty goal. I do understand however MIT's program is marketed differently and not really leaning towards quants.

After my exams next year I do intend to take the Quantnet C++ online course as well as scoring for the GMAT/GRE to try and make up for weaknesses. I do have a job lined up for me after I graduate, working in a local Asian bank (CIMB). Hopefully it can be in some related field that will improve my chances.

I would take additional math courses but there aren't any part time courses I can take over here. The best I could find is a 1 year full time graduate diploma in Mathematics. Will a good quant grade in GRE/GMAT be enough to reassure the admissions that I have the necessary capabilities? I am pretty confident of scoring well for them. Or do I have to take the GRE Math subject test though MIT MFin do not accept them from what I gather so far?

Really all help will be greatly appreciated! I am pretty confused right now as to how I can improve on my profile without doing the full time diploma.

Back