• TIME TO 2024 UK RANKINGS

• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

How do you prepare for a rejection, advice needed

Yeah I wouldn't recommend saying that you might go for a PhD in your personal statement as MFE are generally considered professional/practical degrees.

What should you do if you get rejected by all?

My first question is what do you want to do exactly because if you are considering a PhD why not just go straight into that? Or MBA/MFE dual degree?

GRE math subject will help you alittle bit maybe but I hear it is crazy hard so may not be worth it...

To strengthen your application for next year, more math, more programming and throw in a few finance courses depending on your background (or self-study).

If you want to do Phd you donot need to do MFE. It is too expensive for a PhD. If you want to strenghten your application with an MFE find the affordable programs, not the most expensive ones, as you will be in lots of debt for 5 years of PhD. I know that students from Baruch have gone on to PhD before. The program is very affordable so you can afford to goto a PhD after. Also, the curriculum is might be for someone interested in a PhD as there is a major Capstone Project requirement.

You have a good profile in terms of GPA and GRE scores. I think the PhD might be hurting a bit, but then again remember, all the top 5 programs are VERY competitive. Keep your head up, you might get into the other programs, never know.

Check this out for some past PhD profiles: Profiles and Results 2010

The reasons I didn't apply for a Phd/MBA program were:

1) I applied late, I submitted all my applications on April 26th. The only schools still accept applications were above. I should do more research
prior to that, now I learned my lesson.

2) I felt my background wasn't good enough for a top Phd program, I hope a MFE degree from a good school could strengthen my application. For a MBA, lacking working experience was a factor I considered.

3) I agree. Math subject test may help a little. More courses to enhance my skill should come first.

Thanks, guys.

From what I have read on the forums here, it seems like if you mention you want to do a PhD on your application for MFE, it is not looked at in a very appealing manner. I could be wrong, but that is what the general consensus seems to be from what I have read. There are always exceptions though...so you never know.

If you see the link I sent you, many people have Masters in Economics, and Masters in Statistics/Math. Many of those programs are sometimes funded and have a strong research component, so you might want to look into them.

Back