• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

How good is my profile?

Thanks for taking time to have a look. Appreciate any advice!
I am a rising fourth year undergraduate in a top 50 university in US.
Major: Math, Computer Science
GPA: 3.9/4.0 math gpa: 4.0 cs gpa: 3.9
GRE: v162 q170
Work experiences:
mainly researches in school in math, which involves some machine learning and programming in Matlab/Python, for about a year
I am doing an internship in a quite well known VC company this year
Leadership experiences: Nothing worth mentioning really
Pros: I think my academics are good. Also solid programming skills.
Cons:
close to nothing coursework in finance (only 1 or 2 economic/management course, and I guess that's not finance)
not very much coursework in stats, although I learned stuff on my own
lack of working experience
not very prestigious undergrad institution

Questions: What are the things I could do now to enhance my application? Specifically, do I need to take some finance/stats course online, like through Mooc?
What kind of school do I have a chance to get in?

Though not necessary by any means, I'd recommend looking into taking the first exam (i.e., Level 1) of the CFA Program. I think it'd provide a relatively comprehensive introduction to the most basic concepts in traditional finance that may benefit your preparation for an MFE/MSFM grad program.

Admittedly, I'm a bit biased, as I hold the CFA charter (full disc.)... anyways, just my two cents on the matter. Best of luck!

Back