• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

How many programmers are on Quantnet?

Do you guys count just working experience in experience or your own development practices? Keep posting, I find your programming "biography" interesting and colorful.

Lotus Notes Domino (Formula language, lotusScript, Domino architecture) for Big Four, Bank, and Oil
Java and Perl with SQL Server at Start ups
J2EE with Struts, Weblogic/Websphere with Oracle: automotive, and print/pack (advertising) industry
Core Java 1.4 for P&L and Sensitivity computing: Equity Derivatives
QT/C++, FIX: High Frequency Trading
C++/MFC, C#: Fixed Income eTrading, Algo Trading (auto-hedging and bond micro structure)
Java 6, Grid computing: VaR monte carlo calculator for Basel 2 regulations
Also did some barrier option pricers while in MFE in France (used dupire and heston)
Can"t wait to back to fast paced algo trading

C++/MFC, C#: Fixed Income eTrading, Algo Trading (auto-hedging and bond micro structure)
Java 6, Grid computing: VaR monte carlo calculator for Basel 2 regulations

Very interesting.

I see the myriad of languages that people know...

But no one has mentioned your program style, e.g. OO, functional, procedural, modular etc.

How do you program? Is your code easy to maintain or is it not easy to maintain?

But no one has mentioned your program style, e.g. OO, functional, procedural, modular etc.

How do you program? Is your code easy to maintain or is it not easy to maintain?

I use Java/J2EE at work and with all the stuff my service had put on (they crated their own libraries etc..) it is really easy to maintain.
We have also a coding style we have to refer to, so everybody's code looks the same. And of course it is Object oriented.

Although, I kinda prefer C++. I feel so free using it. Just an opinion (no troll intended).

It'd be really good to differentiate in OO,Functional, etc.. The ease which you find while programming in particular environment...Reasons you moved from the previous ones, etc...

I have been doing OO since 2002, most of the time in regular SDLC style, did some sort (no scrum) of Agile while doing HFT. Did also a bit of vectorial programming at the HFT firm, they had implemented their own language for algos, like R but it was done in C++. I have spent my entire career on windows, except (once again) at the HTF firm, which was Linux/Unix and I have used vim, quite a hardcore change one would say, but after crashing 3 IDE which were not recoverable without kernel recomp, I gave up and dove into a mix of screen+vim. Ended up enjoying it, it's only a matter of getting used to the command. You usually switch because you need to or you are asked to.

I use Java/J2EE at work and with all the stuff my service had put on (they crated their own libraries etc..) it is really easy to maintain.
We have also a coding style we have to refer to, so everybody's code looks the same. And of course it is Object oriented.

Although, I kinda prefer C++. I feel so free using it. Just an opinion (no troll intended).

C++ allows you to use the style that you are most comfortable with and that is most appropriate for the job in hand.

It'd be really good to differentiate in OO,Functional, etc.. The ease which you find while programming in particular environment...Reasons you moved from the previous ones, etc...

Good question!
Parts of a program are best done in one particular style (e.g. Libraries with generic programing,data flow with procedural, recursion with functional, componet based interfaces(!) ...)

Another point that adopting "get it working, then get it right, then get it optimised" approach influences the style.

C/C++/Java/Oracle/Sybase/MySQL/SQL Server 2000/GWT/Hibernate/Spring/EJB 3.0/Shell Scripting/ Perl/LEX & YACC/ SQL, PL-SQL, T-SQL/PHP/Glassfish/Apache/IIS/Dolphin Boonex/BFD/Jasper Server

Interesting and amazing. I wish I knew such many also. If you age is reasonable then I'm optimistic I'll know more by that time.

Linux/Unix and I have used vim, quite a hardcore change one would say

Yeah I normally use EditPlus when writing PHP, but on the Linux servers we have running, if I need to edit anything I use Vi.
Vi versus EditPlus is a totally different way of thinking lol.

Having to remember to use i and a to edit the doc and escape to exit to delete got some getting used to at first.

If you have say Ubuntu installed with the Windows style environment, then there are plenty of good apps you can use for code editing.
I normally use Vi from the command line though for example when I ssh into another box.

Currently I mainly program on Windows (with C#). I'm intending to learn C++ very well( I can say I know though) and then I'm intending to move to Linux. Thanks for the advice. I'll definitely run Linux when I'll have switched to C++.

Tsotne - You can download Ubuntu for free. It has an option where you can run the OS in a kind of preview mode, off a CD or USB stick. You should give it a try.
If you like it, partition your HD and then run a duel boot machine - or if you have another machine install it on that and use Cygwin as your window console (you can install ssh etc. on it)

Thanks @NewHeavenCT. I don't have a problem obtaining and installing Ubuntu now. I need time to switch. Currently I'm running Win 7 at home and XP sp3 at work. After switching to C++., I'll change the OS too. (On another machine though, probably on home PC rather than Laptop I'm currently using more frequently).

BTW, is Linux platform better than Windows for C++? As I know Linux is somehow better for running C++.

Back