• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

How many programmers are on Quantnet?

Inheriting from Unix platform, Linux is better for server-side backend program. Open source is another advantage if you want custom. In the past years, Microsoft also invests a lot on Windows Server 2005/2008 focusing server market.

IMHO, Linux is a better platform than Windows.

I know you like Linux much more than windows. I agree, but not in general. I prefer Linux for not-.NET specific languages. I mean for C/C++ I prefer Linux. Thanks

I prefer Linux for not-.NET specific languages. I mean for C/C++ I prefer Linux.
?????? You have me baffled with that statement (I am easily baffled, but anyway :) )! Are you saying you prefer Linux when writing C/C++ apps, or are you saying you prefer to execute C++ apps on Linux? In either case what are the reasons?
Niels

?????? You have me baffled with that statement (I am easily baffled, but anyway :) )! Are you saying you prefer Linux when writing C/C++ apps, or are you saying you prefer to execute C++ apps on Linux? In either case what are the reasons?
Niels

I'm saying I prefer executing C/C++ apps on Linux. To be honest, there is not any huge reason. Linux is not that heavily loaded than Windows.

The underlying logical thought process in creating well structured and functioning code really doesn't change THAT much from one language to the next.

Quite true in my opinion.I remember at my university during our first year programming course we were mostly taught data structure and algorithms,the syntax of particular programme wasn't stressed that much.Even in the computer science department at the university, there was no specific programming course.Students were supposed to learn them on their own.
But i will accept the fact that you need to have some hand on experience.Otherwise if you start programming in some language from scratch ,it will take sometime to get things going on fluently.

Quite true in my opinion.I remember at my university during our first year programming course we were mostly taught data structure and algorithms,the syntax of particular programme wasn't stressed that much.Even in the computer science department at the university, there was no specific programming course.Students were supposed to learn them on their own.
But i will accept the fact that you need to have some hand on experience.Otherwise if you start programming in some language from scratch ,it will take sometime to get things going on fluently.

This is so for almost every subject in every field. University doesn't give you everything you need. You yourself should expand the theoretical knowledge(or base) you gain while studying at university. Though your point is obvious.

Most editors in linux suck i think.. but its definitely less heavily loaded than windows..

ive been Using
OO perl, C#, C, C-Shell, Flex, Java, JavaScript, VB, VBA,
R, Splus, STATA, Matlab
SQL, Pi, Oracle, Access
Linux, Windows

absolutely like the OO way of life

Most editors in linux suck i think.. but its definitely less heavily loaded than windows..

ive been Using
OO perl, C#, C, C-Shell, Flex, Java, JavaScript, VB, VBA,
R, Splus, STATA, Matlab
SQL, Pi, Oracle, Access
Linux, Windows

absolutely like the OO way of life

I like OO PLs more than FLs too. But OO is not enough to fit fully in demand. As for Linux, it really is less loaded than Windows but depends on Windows versions too. Old Windows versions like Windows Server 2003 is softer as well commonly used for database servers. Windows 2000 is good too. As far as editors are concerned,

Most editors in linux suck i think

This is not correct. Which editors do you mean? you can't say that since you experience problems of compatibility with every version of OS whether it's Linux or not. So don't put Linux alone, I have experienced problems with Windows, Mac as well.

Strange comment.

Means: Knowing only object oriented language is not enough to satisfy the demands of employers in the market. There are quite a lot of occasions when functional languages are demanded along with (or without) the OO PLs. We have discussed this topic and the power of FLs (along with comparisons with OO PLs) in multiple threads.

Currently I mainly program on Windows (with C#). I'm intending to learn C++ very well( I can say I know though) and then I'm intending to move to Linux. Thanks for the advice. I'll definitely run Linux when I'll have switched to C++.

You can try out ubuntu on windows without the trouble of dual booting. Check out wubi http://wubi.sourceforge.net/

Current : R, Python, mySQL, CouchDB, Linux, Visual Studio 2008, SQL Server, SAS, SAS Enterprise Miner, JMP
I do a lot of Data Mining / Machine Learning algos in R/ Python

Previous exp : C, Java, LabView, Assembly, Actionscript 3.0, Flex

Most editors in linux suck i think
Well I am referring to the text editors in linux. These days I am using emacs excursively after a short stint with vi, and to me both suck
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Editor_war#Humour

This was funny:
The Church of Emacs, formed by Richard Stallman, is a joke. While it refers to vi as the "editor of the beast" (vi-vi-vi being 6-6-6 in Roman numerals), it does not oppose the use of vi; rather, it calls proprietary software an anathema. ("Using a free version of vi is not a sin but a penance."[7]) It has its own newsgroup, alt.religion.emacs,[8] that has posts purporting to support this parody religion.
Supporters of vi have created an opposing Cult of vi, argued by the more hardline Emacs users to be an attempt to "ape their betters".

Well I am referring to the text editors in linux. These days I am using emacs excursively after a short stint with vi, and to me both suck

So, which editor doesn't "suck" in your experience? which is your preferred editor?

alain... haven't found one.. else why would i be using emacs.. suggestions are welcome

from your post, it seems that you are isolating the editors in Linux. Have you found any editor that you like in another OS?

Back