• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

How much C++ knowledge does an entry level quant developer need?

Hi everyone, I just joined this forum and spent the last few hours reading through the threads on quantitative developers. I didn't find any that answers this question, so thought I'd post it in case anyone else was curious.

I currently work as a web developer at an internet company and do scripting with perl, javascript, html, css, xml/xsl. I've always been interested in finance and decided that working as a quant developer would be an interesting and lucrative career and the transition wouldn't be as tough as a magazine editor trying to work in finance. I've been teaching myself C++ for the past year using textbooks, online tutorials, c++ forums, etc.

My question is how much C++ knowledge does an entry-level quant developer need?

Since C++ is a difficult programming language to learn and master, how much knowledge is required for an entry-level quant? Is a solid intermediate level of mastery sufficient (eg, STL, multiset operations, etc.)? I've seen posts on Dice.com looking for C++ programmers with 1 - 2 years of experience, so was under the impression that an intermediate level of knowledge might be enough to get one's foot in the door...

Thanks any thoughts on this!

You need to know enough to pass the interview and then you need to know enough to keep the job.

I believe Eugene meant search on this site, not google.
To start you off, take a look at this list
Master reading list for Quants, MFE - QuantNetwork - Financial Engineering Forum
The free guides at the top have a list of C++ questions, topics often asked during interview
Then C++ quant interview questions - QuantNetwork - Financial Engineering Forum
D.E Shaw interview questions - QuantNetwork - Financial Engineering Forum

If you can answer all of these questions correctly, you have the answer.

I believe Eugene meant search on this site, not google.
To start you off, take a look at this list
Master reading list for Quants, MFE - QuantNetwork - Financial Engineering Forum
The free guides at the top have a list of C++ questions, topics often asked during interview
Then C++ quant interview questions - QuantNetwork - Financial Engineering Forum
D.E Shaw interview questions - QuantNetwork - Financial Engineering Forum

If you can answer all of these questions correctly, you have the answer.

Cool, thanks for the resources!

One of my friend is working as a quant. But his background is really Math. He barely knew programming before he got his offer. In the interview, the interviewer asked him many math and brain teaser questions.

But, your background seems to be computing. I suppose not only you need a very solid programming knowledge to apply the quant positions, but deep understanding of computing theories, like algorithms, computer architectures, etc. I think these would be potential questions for candidates who are from a computing background.

Hi everyone, I just joined this forum and spent the last few hours reading through the threads on quantitative developers. I didn't find any that answers this question, so thought I'd post it in case anyone else was curious.

I currently work as a web developer at an internet company and do scripting with perl, javascript, html, css, xml/xsl. I've always been interested in finance and decided that working as a quant developer would be an interesting and lucrative career and the transition wouldn't be as tough as a magazine editor trying to work in finance. I've been teaching myself C++ for the past year using textbooks, online tutorials, c++ forums, etc.

My question is how much C++ knowledge does an entry-level quant developer need?

Since C++ is a difficult programming language to learn and master, how much knowledge is required for an entry-level quant? Is a solid intermediate level of mastery sufficient (eg, STL, multiset operations, etc.)? I've seen posts on Dice.com looking for C++ programmers with 1 - 2 years of experience, so was under the impression that an intermediate level of knowledge might be enough to get one's foot in the door...

Thanks any thoughts on this!

Back