How much computer science do I need to learn?

What do you think is the ideal amount of computer science knowledge that MFE programs would like their applicants to have?

After going through the numerous posts on Quantnet, I have decided to self study C++ over the winter break. I have decided to use "Programming: Principles and Practice using C++" by Bjarne Stroustrup. What would you suggest I read after completing this book?

What do you think is the ideal amount of computer science knowledge that MFE programs would like their applicants to have?

After going through the numerous posts on Quantnet, I have decided to self study C++ over the winter break. I have decided to use "Programming: Principles and Practice using C++" by Bjarne Stroustrup. What would you suggest I read after completing this book?

BS is a reference book; not sure if that is optimal.

Good luck.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Polter, I took a look at both the websites and I was glad to find "Programming: Principles and Practice using C++" as one of the recommended book . Thank you for the links.

Daniel, from what I read in the internet, the book called "The C++ Programming Language" by BS seems to be the reference book whereas, "Programming: Principles and Practice using C++" is described as a first course in programming that uses C++.

To both, which area of computer science do you think I should explore after I manage to get a relatively good grasp of the basics of C++? Are there certain topics/ fields within computer science such as database systems, analysis of algorithms, artificial intelligence, theory of computation, etc, that are more relevant to MFE programs in particular and quants in general? I know I am looking a little far ahead in the future, but I would really like to know what topics I can look forward to learning in the future.

Going along with my last post, are MFE programs expecting applicants to possess only the basic knowledge of C++ (by basic, I mean at the level of of an introductory college level computer science course). Or do they prefer students who have taken a few upper level classes in a computer science department such as artificial intelligence, etc?

You don't need C++. It's not as important as Baruch and everyone on this forum would like you to think. It is good to learn in school, but more important these days are things like python (on trading desks), or SQL. I know many managers that are moving away from C++ in favor of higher level languages. C++ is good to learn though, because once you learn C++, other languages are practically at your fingertips. But don't get too caught up in it. More importantly, learn how languages are used in general. (C# is also a good language btw.) Big data structures are important too. Syntax can be learned in a day, but programmatic thinking takes time to develop.

You don't need C++. It's not as important as Baruch and everyone on this forum would like you to think. It is good to learn in school, but more important these days are things like python (on trading desks), or SQL. I know many managers that are moving away from C++ in favor of higher level languages. C++ is good to learn though, because once you learn C++, other languages are practically at your fingertips. But don't get too caught up in it. More importantly, learn how languages are used in general. (C# is also a good language btw.) Big data structures are important too. Syntax can be learned in a day, but programmatic thinking takes time to develop.

Last time I looked, C++ is still the blue chip standard you have to know and it is not just "Baruch and everyone" that thinks that.

There is more than C++ in life of course. C# is a great language. C++ is the basis, though.

Syntax can be learned in a day,
No it can't

but programmatic thinking takes time to develop.
No one will disagree with you here. 5-10 years before you can become any way good.

Last time I looked, C++ is still the blue chip standard you have to know and it is not just "Baruch and everyone" that thinks that.

There is more than C++ in life of course. C# is a great language. C++ is the basis, though.

Syntax can be learned in a day,
No it can't

but programmatic thinking takes time to develop.
No one will disagree with you here. 5-10 years before you can become any way good.

Actually, I agree on the adjustments to my exaggerations.

Syntax can be learned in a day means if you know programming very well, and just need to switch languages. You shouldn't need more than a day to figure out the basic data structures and syntax. For example: C++ to Python. But I see many cases where you are correct, and this doesn't apply to very complex things that a language can do, or packages/extensions.

Syntax can be learned in a day means if you know programming very well

Also, not true (based on extensive empirical observations with experienced developers), certainly not for C# which is huge.

It's a bit like saying you will learn Spanish syntax in a day because you are fluent in Italian.

I will take you a day just to understand Console read and write. The human brain cannot process all this information and time is needed to get the knowledge into LTM. It's a law of physics...

Last edited:
Syntax can be learned in a day means if you know programming very well

Also, not true (based on extensive empirical observations), certainly not for C# which is huge.

It's a bit like saying you will learn Spanish syntax in a day because you are fluent in Italian.

I will take you a day just to understand Console read and write.
What if I said syntax can be learned in a day for going from lower level languages to higher level languages?

It's a common misperception that many recent graduates and in academia underestimate how difficult programming is.

I suggest you actually work an a C++ project.

Back