• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

How much do quants earn?

Does the bottom chart include bonus? Because if it does this is way off...it seems like it is VERY heavily skewed towards new hires which makes the data not worth very much.

Depends on country, company, (to some extent) on your skill and (to more extent) on your ability to sell yourself and your luck.

It really doesn't matter. Even the lowest paid quants should be hitting that average number within 3-5 years at worst. If the quant has a Master's or PhD, should be less than 3 years.

Assuming the "average" quant employed has 10 years of work experience; that number should be ~$200k. Just from experience...I have no real data to back this up. But sometimes no data is better than bad data ;)

10y exp making 200k at nyc... abysmal amount
I just want to point out that not all quants are equal. I would expect that average risk quant for example to be making around 200k 10 years out, absolutely. However, said risk quant would be working very comfortable hours 9-6...

Hi MRoss, no the bonuses are not included in the article as they depend heavily on the organization and its performance for a given period. And yes, the data shown is for new hires since again the pay for experienced quants varies a lot and depends on their performance, skills, and qualification. The article is a guide for people who are trying to get into this profession.

Does the bottom chart include bonus? Because if it does this is way off...it seems like it is VERY heavily skewed towards new hires which makes the data not worth very much.

Back